Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you made a OBW with Batik fabric? >

Have you made a OBW with Batik fabric?

Have you made a OBW with Batik fabric?

Old 01-13-2011, 02:53 PM

I bought this beautiful batik fabric that I wanted to make a One Block Wonder (OBW) or stack and whack, kaleidiscope quilt with, but now that I am looking at the pattern on the fabric I see it is not exactly the same. Some have color variations even thought the design seems to be the same.

I think it will not create a pretty repeat in the design? Right? Anyone every used batik for this quilt?
Old 01-13-2011, 03:01 PM

I think you are right. The batiks don't have enough of a variation or "pattern" to them. You would end up with an OBW that looks the same as the original fabric.
There are many other patterns though that batiks look great with. You would be better off using one of those.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:03 PM

A batik really does not have a perfect or any real repeat since the fabrics are not printed as/or in the manner of traditional fabrics, They are hand dyed. If you tryed to "line -up " the fabrics it would be impossible.
There are other methods that you could use to get a nice outcome with out having to line -up and cut triangles. Simple squares set on point would have the same or almost the same outcome.
There are some great patterns that will really show off the beauty of batiks, I personally would not use OBW.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:10 PM

OK - I am really bummed about this, but will plan to use it for something else...what are some of the good patterns you refer to for batiks?
Old 01-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

I would look for a large scale print, that compliments the batik :D Use the batik for the border :D:D:D
Old 01-13-2011, 03:22 PM

The batik is a schmooshy print, like a Moda marble. OBW need BIG BOLD COLORFUL prints so that all your work will show.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:26 PM

sorry but a Batik will not work for a SAW or a OBW but Batiks will work up wondefully in a pattern called Warm Wishes. I just finished one...not with Batiks....and it is stunning and EASY TOO. The directions are on line...

jodi in leavenworth
Old 01-13-2011, 03:30 PM

I like to use those fabrics that make you go....WHAT IN THE H*LL WAS I THINKING WHEN I BOUGHT THIS!!!! The bigger and gaudier the print, the better the SAW or OBW will be.....the designs need to be as big as the palm of your hand or at least 3-5 inches in size....when you cut them up, you loose the object so always make sure to have enough fabric left over to use in the boarders!!

jodi in leavenworth
Old 01-13-2011, 03:34 PM

For inspiration on what to do with batiks, check out the two batik swaps in the Member Swaps section on this board. Plenty of gorgeous blocks.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:10 PM

Don't be too bummed. There's LOTS of patterns that batiks look gorgeous in, just not OBWs. For those you want something with a definite pattern. There's one on here somewhere made with a fabric called Lion Eyes. The one lion on the fabric is over 12 inches tall. I'll see if I can find the link.

found it

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-60197-1.htm