Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you prewashed the Hobbs cotton? >

Have you prewashed the Hobbs cotton?

Have you prewashed the Hobbs cotton?

Old 07-01-2012, 05:50 AM

Someone already mentioned it - Quilters Dream says only 1% shrinkage. I did like how it washed up. I was amazed when looking at how much shrinkage some batts have - esp bamboo batting!!! My friend used that on a quilt and she said her queen size quilt shrunk 6 inches!!! YIKES!!!

Someone correct me, but when using cotton, it'll shrink and the quilt will still have that crinkled look (which i absolutely love!!!) But, is it possible to make a quilt that after it is washed, is still smoother/not crinkled like a quilt is when we first finish it.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
Someone already mentioned it - Quilters Dream says only 1% shrinkage. I did like how it washed up. I was amazed when looking at how much shrinkage some batts have - esp bamboo batting!!! My friend used that on a quilt and she said her queen size quilt shrunk 6 inches!!! YIKES!!!

Someone correct me, but when using cotton, it'll shrink and the quilt will still have that crinkled look (which i absolutely love!!!) But, is it possible to make a quilt that after it is washed, is still smoother/not crinkled like a quilt is when we first finish it.
My understanding is you can get a quilt to look like that if you preshrink the batting or if you use a polyester batting (polyester does not shrink).
Old 07-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
I haven't used that batting, but I have used 80/20s, including one from Hobbs. I put it my top loading washer in warm water, fill it with water, soak it a while and spin the water out. I then dry it in my large dryer on the regular cycle. I am the lone person who likes a smoother quilt, so I want all shrinkage done. One mistake, I must have forgotten what I'd put in the washer and washed one, which means it was agitated twice. There are several unusable areas. I foresee a couple of baby quilts out of that queen size batt.
I also like a smooth quilt.

And for the record - many of the old 'utility quilts' - were made from much used fabric - and they did NOT pucker after they were washed. So - if a person says 'I like the puckered look' - well and good - but that it not necessarily a vintage look.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:58 PM

For a "smooth" looking quilt I'd prewash all the fabrics and use a good poly batting like Quilters Dream. There should be no shrinkage at all when the quilt is washed.

I usually don't dry any of my quilts in the dryer, just throw an old sheet over our deck railing and put the quilt on that. If In case it was raining I'd lay the old sheet on the floor or on dining room table and put quilt on that to dry indoors.