Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you purchased a machine on ebay.... >

Have you purchased a machine on ebay....

Have you purchased a machine on ebay....

Old 03-13-2017, 04:18 PM

I've bought four machines on ebay. One came with no packing whatsoever and was badly damaged in shipping. I always request double boxing when buying a machine. I even offer to pay more for packaging so the machine will be protected. The last machine I bought was my featherweight, it was priced right and the seller packed it really well.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by IrishgalfromNJ View Post
I've bought four machines on ebay. One came with no packing whatsoever and was badly damaged in shipping. I always request double boxing when buying a machine. I even offer to pay more for packaging so the machine will be protected. The last machine I bought was my featherweight, it was priced right and the seller packed it really well.
Seems to me it is luck of the draw...they might have good feedback but make sure it is for the same type of items. I think the shipping process can take its toll on sewing machines. But last time I checked I believe Ebay makes it right if it is damaged.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:17 PM

If you are buying a new machine, be aware, that often, the local dealers only warranty those machines that they sell. I would ask the question....Where will I get warranty work done if it is needed? If they say your local dealer will do the warranty work, call the dealer and verify the info. Sometimes, the local dealer will match the price that you would get on the Internet.

I go to the Houston quilt show and they have pretty good prices on new machines. Before I went, I asked my local dealer if he would do the warranty work. They said yes, and told me that they would match the price that I could get it at the show. That's quite a good deal. That way I had a local place to ask questions.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 03-13-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:41 PM

My last 2 machines have been from ebay. One was purchased about 8 years ago. Very well packaged, and even came with a surprise of chocolate candy tucked in! I used the machine till I purchased my newest in January. It wasn't as well packaged, but arrived in excellent cond. I got good deals on both. Like others have said, do your research on the seller,use paypal, ask ?'s before purchase.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
I paid $500 to purchase a vintage Pfaff 1470. Good thing I used Paypal because the machine was broken and the vendor, who became vicious, would not refund money amicably and I had to file a case to get my money back. Happily, I did. Never went through ebay again. If I want a machine I go through my local dealer.
I wonder we had the same seller (or perhaps the same seller as IrishgalNJ). After the whole fiasco was over, I wondered whether she sent it broken to get the insurance money. I too used Paypal and my money was refunded with no issue from Paypal. With that said, I tried a second time and from another seller and was happy with my machine.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:25 AM

I have purchased two Berninas on ebay. Both had been school models and were purchased without the regular extras, like foot pedals. They were packed fairly well, but neither of them lasted very long. They were from different sellers but both had been from Florida. You have to worry about flooding and water damage. I would not do it again.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:42 AM

I purchased my first FW on ebay a number of years ago. I did use PayPal , but my machine arrived well packed and with no problems. I use this bay all the time. There was no problem and I tracked it all the way. I don't often order anything over the internet, but this was a successful purchase.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:55 AM

I bought a featherweight, I was going thru the phase that I thought I had to have one. It was shipped from overseas, it was in great condition, case and machine. Does it work, I have no idea, It was made in Scottland and I know that I can get a converter to plug it in but just never have. I don't want to change out the electrical part because this machine is in such great shape and I don't want to change it. The other purchase was a Viking #1 emb machine. It was supposed to have all accessories that was with machine originally, it wasn't but after sending the seller a list, he shipped me them, then I had problems with the stitching and he was one of the few that offered a 2yr guarantee, he paid for me to take the machine to UPS and box it up and I sent it back to him. In the meantime I came across a great top of the line (then) Viking and bought it. When I got the other machine back from being serviced, I never opened the box. I'm in the process of getting things ready to sell, I'm not downsizing but I am getting rid of a whole bunch of stuff that I just don't need. This will go on the to sell list. Both of the sellers that I used, had first of all great comments from others on ebay, the 2nd one even offered a guarantee, which speaks volumns about him and his honesty and like I said, he sent me the missing parts, then the stitch plate had been damaged, I'm assuming from a bent needle, I emailed him about it because it kept breaking the thread when trying to sew, he mailed me back a new plate the same week. For me, because I did check them out, I had a great experience from both of them.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:04 AM

Purchased three different times thru e-bay (all vintage machines). All three were as described and arrived in good condition. MANY people complain the sellers did not know how/did not pack them correctly which resulted in junked broken machines on arrival. I was fortunate. Worst packing on one was my Featherweight. However, he had marked the box "fine china" in large letters, arrows pointed to keeping box upright. Did get it in great condition. Good luck!
Old 03-14-2017, 04:24 AM
anonymous

I have had 2 bad experiences with getting machines damaged in shipping. Both times the sellers stood behind the sale and refunded me the money right away. If a machine is one of the new modern, computerized machines I would suggest you insist on the original boxes. This is huge in helping with the machine not shifting during transport.