Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you taken a class lately? >

Have you taken a class lately?

Have you taken a class lately?

Old 10-13-2010, 01:15 PM

I'm certainly not a novice quilter but I find that sometimes I get in a rut with what I'm doing. With that in mind, I decided to enroll in a class at my favorite LQS. I purposely chose something I wouldn't normally do. Not only that, I chose fabric I wouldn't ordinarily buy.
Well! Let me tell you, I had a ball. The unfamiliar blocks, new rulers and techniques really lit my fire. I'm afraid I had become complacent and didn't really think I needed to learn anything new. :oops: Shame on me!
The moral of my story is to encourage you to step out of your comfort zone. Try a class at your LQS, buy fabric that isn't you and make some wonderful new acquaintances/friends. I'm going to a show on Saturday with one of my new buddies!
Life is good! :thumbup:
Old 10-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for sharing your story with us, I am planning on taking a class one of these days at LQS (Local Quilt Shop)
Old 10-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Google Goddess

What quilt show are you going to, please post it in Offline events so others can attend it

(on the subject line, put date of show, city, state)
and in the message put more information about the show, you might be able to meet up with other quilt board members, have fun
Old 10-13-2010, 01:21 PM

I haven't taken a class in a long time. Not that I know everything, far from it. When I first started quilting, I took every class that was offered. I enjoyed it very much. But, I got to where I was doing classes so much that I didn't have time to do all of my own ideas that were running around in my head. I stopped taking classes and I'm still not caught up.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

I love that idea! Funny you should bring it up- just last week I checked out a couple of LQS for classes b/c I also feel out of touch. My small quilt group is no longer and I miss being around other quilters. A local guild is just too big for me :(
I've been in a rut of sorts in a lot of areas but I'm ready for a new class!!
Thanks for the great topic :)
Old 10-13-2010, 02:22 PM

I'm hoping to sign up for a paper piecing class next time our LQS has one.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:57 PM

I took on last Saturday. I need inspiration to get back to sewing. It was real simple but had a lot of fun. I have also signed up for three more classes. I really like being with other people that like doing what I do. FUN FUN
Old 10-13-2010, 03:03 PM

I hadn't taken a class in several years, but had a chance to take one in August. It was how to make pineapple blocks using a foundation paper piecing method by Lynn Graves. It was a fun class and the method really makes it easy and fun to make a pineapple block. I had not done any kind of paper piecing before, and with this method, you sew the fabric on top of the paper pattern.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

I take every workshop and participate in every guild sew day/program we have. There is always something to learn.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the push I need. I keep seeing classes at the fabric store and saying I need to take them and not doing it. I'm going to go for it.