Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you tried the fusible batting? >

Have you tried the fusible batting?

Have you tried the fusible batting?

Old 11-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

not much new about fusable batting- some people love it- some not so much- buy a small one & give it a try- i find it very handy for some projects---(small ones) but i don't use it for large (queen + ) quilts. i love it for table runners, placemats, totes...wall hangings...
Old 11-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Banned

So it is only fusible on one side? hummm, I will try it for some placemats I intend to make and see from there.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

If it is Hobbs 80/20 quilt batt, BOTH sides are fusible. I lay my sandwich out on the floor and dry iron the front working from the center out. I flip over the entire sandwich and dry iron the back from the center out. You can peel up the edge and re-iron as needed to make sure the back is wrinkle free. I spend the most time getting the back perfect because that is the side you can't see while machine quilting. I put a few safety pins around the edge so I don't accidentally peel up a corner as I move the quilt around while machine quilting.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:16 PM

I used fusible batting on a lap quilt and had difficulty hand quilting with it. Otherwise, it worked fine.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If it is Hobbs 80/20 quilt batt, BOTH sides are fusible. I lay my sandwich out on the floor and dry iron the front working from the center out. I flip over the entire sandwich and dry iron the back from the center out. You can peel up the edge and re-iron as needed to make sure the back is wrinkle free. I spend the most time getting the back perfect because that is the side you can't see while machine quilting. I put a few safety pins around the edge so I don't accidentally peel up a corner as I move the quilt around while machine quilting.
Used this batting for a long time and LOVED it. Since we pulled up the old carpet I no longer have a good place to do it. I am afraid of the heat damaging my new wood floors. The garage floor is concrete but too dirty. I loved the nice smooth sandwich it made. I also would turn the whole thing over and iron it from the back. Sometimes it would start to loosen here and there while I was quilting a large quilt. I'd just run an iron over the loose spots with and re-adhere it. I tried spray but didn't like it as well. I miss my fusible batting!
Old 11-23-2012, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tashana View Post
I tried the fusible batting, and it was pretty good. But I still like basting with Elmer's School glue. I always have the glue and the batting so no need for me to go out and buy something else. But, if you do not like the Elmer's method, I believe the fusible batting is the next best thing.
I, too, love basting with Elmer's School glue. Fusible batting worked ok, but I didn't think it smoothed out as nicely as the glue.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:16 PM

Does the fusible 80/20 Hobbs batting have any 'pouf' to it once it's been ironed down?
Old 11-24-2012, 01:53 AM

I must have been living in a cave some place...I've never heard of fusible batting!!
Old 11-24-2012, 04:04 AM

Used it once, don't like it. It wouldn't stay fused. I use the curved safety pins when machine quilting, thread basting when hand quilting.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:14 AM
QM
Power Poster

I used it once. It was great for the wall hanging I was making, but I would not care for the feel of it in a bed/lap quilt.