Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you used fleece for batting? >

Have you used fleece for batting?

Have you used fleece for batting?

Old 09-18-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
wow..I don't think I would use as batting. It is 100% polyester..it will not breathe..it will be like wearing a lead apron! It will make the person sleeping under sweat like crazy!
My grandkids have 100% polyester blankets that they love. Very soft and cuddly. I think fleece used as a combination batting and backing would be much the same. Also, how is this different than using a polyester batting?
Old 09-18-2011, 03:50 PM

I've use fleece and also shrunken flannel as batting. Also old blankets. I use anything depending on what the quilt will be used for. If it's just a drag around, sit on it in the grass or at the beach type quilt, anything goes.
But bed quilts, heirloom quilts, I use batting only.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Banned

I have never personally used fleece for backing or batting. But people send it to me for both. I have quilted it on my long arm just fine.

So I don't see a problem..I think someone else mentioned that it would be the same as using poly batting and I use that regularly.

My kids LOVE minkee backs on their quilts which is also polyester ...they use them all year long....and they drag them all around during winter because they LOVE them. I also put wool or poly batting on those ..flannel tops....Doesn't get any cozier than that!
Old 09-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Moz

Ive just finished a stripped pieced top. The kind that is pieced onto a muslin foundation. I realized that is going to make for a heavy quilt with a cotton batting so I'm contemplating options ( not that there is anything wrong with q heavy quilt). I have some felted wool on a bolt which is probably heavier than wool batting. Wool batting would be lighter. Suggestions? Thanks :)
Old 09-19-2011, 01:58 AM

I have made 2 quilts with fleece for batting. I did stitch in the ditch on the first and FMQ on the second. My 13 year old DS has been dragging his from the living room to his bedroom for 2.5 years. It's cotton on the front and a poly/cotton blend sheet on the back. It has held up to tons of abuse. The second one is on the back of my chair. Made the same way, with cotton on top and a blend sheet on the back. It is very comfortable, no sweating issues at all. I love this because as a novice quilter, I know with the fleece I can stitch where I want to and not worry about being 4 inches or 6 inches apart in my stitching.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:34 AM

I have made quilts with cotton fabric pieced tops and fleece for the backing, no batting needed. Very very warm.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Moz
Ive just finished a stripped pieced top. The kind that is pieced onto a muslin foundation. I realized that is going to make for a heavy quilt with a cotton batting so I'm contemplating options ( not that there is anything wrong with q heavy quilt). I have some felted wool on a bolt which is probably heavier than wool batting. Wool batting would be lighter. Suggestions? Thanks :)
I just used a light polyester batting in a quilt like yours. It weighs about 8 pounds, but I am going to use it for camping & winter, and I like a heavy quilt. A quilt guild buddy backed hers with flannel - no batting - and tied it.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:49 AM

It would be perfect for my oldest DD. She freezes all the time. I have used fleece as a backing with warm and natural batting. The quilt is a little heavier but not uncomfortable or to warm.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
wow..I don't think I would use as batting. It is 100% polyester..it will not breathe..it will be like wearing a lead apron! It will make the person sleeping under sweat like crazy!
That would be welcomed here in the winter. Everyone complains quilts are not warm enough. Electric is so expensive, avg. $330. Per month for small brick 3 BR house 1500 sq ft. And we keep it at 68 degrees. I am off to buy a roll of fleece.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:16 PM

For a wall hanging that doesn't require a lot of quilting.