Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you used the Hobbs Tuscany silk batting? >

Have you used the Hobbs Tuscany silk batting?

Have you used the Hobbs Tuscany silk batting?

Old 10-27-2014, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
My reason for pre-washing is to try and minimize the crinkle effect that comes from the batting shrinking after quilting. This bat measured the same width before washing as after, but was two inches shorter. If most bats do have wavy edges to begin with, then I guess there was no harm done in this case. I suppose I'd have to make two quilts using the same batting, one pre-washed and one not, to see if it makes enough difference to be worth the effort.

Thanks for your replies!
You are not alone in prewashing your batting! I shrink mine (esp. the W&N) and if I am using flannel that I have pre-shrunk. I had one quilt which neither the batting nor the flannel was pre-washed/shrunk and it shrunk up so much, I hated it and felt like I had ruined it. It is all a matter of what we like or don't (or opinions!)
Old 10-28-2014, 05:15 AM

I cannot imagine even wanting to pre wash batting, but there are certainly people who do. That said I made a silk tie quilt and used silk batting - it was wonderful, has lovely drape. A friend made a competition quilt with embroidery and used silk and it was positively yummy!