Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Have You Used Star Singles Triangle Paper -makes multiple HST at one time easy

Have You Used Star Singles Triangle Paper -makes multiple HST at one time easy

I was browsing my American Patchwork & Quilting June 2012 magazine and on page 82 there is a really cool one page "tip" featuring Star Singles triangle paper that will make 8 HST units at a time.

I don't mind doing HST units when they are 3 inches or bigger but I was thinking of doing a quilt that would use 2 and 2.5 inch HST.

This product would help make those so much easier. They are only on a few websites and the shipping makes the cost add up even more. Just wondering if anyone can give me a good review (or bad review) to help me make up my mind on whether to purchase them or not.

Blog Entries
    here is a website for free hst grid templates in case you want to give it a try. i haven't bought hst making packages so cannot give you a review. i have found free hst grid templates online for up to 4". good luck with your search.

free hst grid templates
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Blog Entries
    Sounds a lot like Thangles, which are widely available. Thangles uses strips of fabric rather than squares of fabric. Check their website for more info (http://www.thangles.com ), but they are probably cheaper from a place such as http://www.quilterswarehouse.com . Or, as Havplenty mentioned, you can print out your own.

A similar time-saver that I haven't used is http://www.inklingo.com/ . This one prints the template directly on the fabric, so you don't even have to remove paper.

Check out Triangulations. You can make countless HST in any size you want and you print them out. No need to keep buying anything...

Thanks for sharing these great websites!

You could use Ta-Da Triangles they use fat quarters. And, you don't have to rip off paper.

Thanks for the great recommendations. I really liked both the Ta-Da's and Triangulations but they make so many while I will only need 8 HST of each fabric configuration (for a scrappy quilt). I wish the Ta-Da's came in 10 inch squares as well (only comes in fat quarter size and jelly roll size and doesn't look like you can custom cut the sizes and still use the leftovers).

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Jenny Doan has a youtube video out on how to make 8 HST with two squares of fabric. She has over 140 youtube videos out now, so you'd have to do some digging to find it. I looked but gave up.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    Jenny Doan has a youtube video out on how to make 8 HST with two squares of fabric. She has over 140 youtube videos out now, so you'd have to do some digging to find it. I looked but gave up.
    i think this is the method you may be talking about. quick hst's

also here is a thread on the board in which we much discussed making hst's.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Cut and stack 2 squares (=Finished hst multiplied by 2 ,then add 2). Mark center on top, bottom and sides, connect as in a big plus sign, Also draw diagonals. Sticth 1/4" on each side of diagonals only. Cut along all your marked lines the + and the X. Makes 8. Example: for 2" finished sewn HST cut two squares of 6" ( 2 x 2 and add 2 =6) Always add the 2 to any size, this is for seam allowances. Trim down to size this makes liberal size HSTs, if you are fussy then add only 1.75. For 2 1/5 cut 7 inch squares: 2 1/2 x 2 = 5, add 2 ; thus 7" squares to cut.
    Last edited by hevemi; 05-23-2012 at 10:01 AM. Reason: aftyerthought

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast