Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you used this?

Have you used this?

http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/brew-s15.php

I saw one of these at the Dallas Quilt show last month and have been wanting one ever since. Has anyone used one of these? It would be so cute to use scallops on quilts but also on so many other stitching projects.

Opinions are appreciated. They come in three sizes and aren't cheap so I haven't taken the plunge yet- to buy one.

I got a scallop ruler from Joannes a few years ago and used it once. I was in a gadget buying mood... Anyway, if you use a scallop edge on your quilts alot, this would be handy. However, if you just wanted to try it once, you could:
    1. get a long piece of cardboard and draw a straight line across it
    2. mark two sides of a lunch plate depending on how deep you want the scallops
    3. Line up the marks on the plate with the line on the cardboard and trace.
    4. Cut out and use as your template.

Check out "The Large Scallop Radial Rule" by Katie Lane Quilts, it makes scallops from 6in. to 10 in. and is much less money!

Blog Entries
    I have a scallop ruler by Eleanor Burns. I used it once and it was worth buying even if I don't use it again. I tried the cardboard and saucer way to make scallops and that's just a job. Why anyone would do it that way when there are rulers available that make it so much easier. I used my large circle Go die to circles, cut those in half and sewed them to a border strip. That was even easier!
    Got fabric?

I have a scallop edged ruler but it's not the one you have shown. I haven't used it a lot but it makes a nice design edge for fleece blankets. Would be cute as a quilting design on a small quilt I think. I got mine on clearance for much less but I've had it quite a while.

Blog Entries
    What a smart idea...do you have a picture of your finished quilt?
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I have a scallop ruler by Eleanor Burns. I used it once and it was worth buying even if I don't use it again. I tried the cardboard and saucer way to make scallops and that's just a job. Why anyone would do it that way when there are rulers available that make it so much easier. I used my large circle Go die to circles, cut those in half and sewed them to a border strip. That was even easier!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I took a border class and we used freezer paper.... traced the scallops. iron on. cut. super easy

Blog Entries
    That ruler is only a 1 1/2 inch scallop, which would be pretty small for a quilt of any size other than mug rug or hanging. Would likely make a very pretty edge for a fleece blanket, though.

I'm not so much for gadgets - could be the yankee in me. I would much rather improvise with 'tools' around the house. And, it makes for a much more 'Wow, really? You did that?" kinda conversation.

But that is me. If you are someone that likes gadgets, go for it. No harm done and then you and someone like me has a conversation topic. See, all is good.

best,
    d
    If it can be taught, it can be learned.
    Mug Rug #2 Swap
    Monthly Quilting Bee Block Swap VIII- My theme is any block of kiwi greens, tangerine oranges, and a smidge of deep turquoise and dark chocolate browns.
    2012-2013 Row by Row-Groups 6 & 7 ... 2011-2012 Quilt for Quilters Swap

Definitely go for the Katie Lane ruler. I find it much easier to use and if you have any questions, Katie Lane staff will help. I love ALL their products. Have met the owner of Katie Lane (Marie) and she is wonderful to deal with. Katie Lane also has gorgeous stained glass quilt patterns, so check these out, too.
    Anita

"Follow your bliss..." - Joseph Campbell
    Quilting is MY bliss!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast