Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
having a quilters block >

having a quilters block

having a quilters block

Old 11-19-2006, 05:05 PM

For three years I have had constant quilting projects, sometimes as many as 3 going at once. Since the beginning of August I have lost my get up and go. Hanging on my project wall are 5 very sad looking squares and lots of loose pieces waiting for the sound of the sewing machine. On my cutting table there are 2 piles of assorted fabric waiting for the rotary cutter. I enjoy reading my quilting magazines, I even tab the pages of interesting quilts for future projects, but thats as far as it has gone. Help!! I miss my favorite refuge from the world, but just can't seem to get back that creativity. :(
Old 11-21-2006, 04:56 AM

Hi N.J.Linda, Maybe taking a quilt class and looking for new fabric will get you going again. Maybe without realizing it you don't like the project you have waiting for you. I like going to class and talking to people who like quilting as much as I do and can really get me excited to start something new. The comraderie is contagious and fun.

Hope this helps. Tootie
Old 11-21-2006, 08:42 AM
Boo

Great suggestion, Tootie. Nothing excites me more than discovering a new fabric line at the quilt shop. LOL My LQS also has an open sewing night each week. Sewing with other folks is contagious. Sometimes I just visit, but am fired up when I get home. :lol:
Old 11-22-2006, 06:09 PM

thanks, I'll try that, plus I'm going away this weekend to ocean city maryland, maybe 'll find a nice quilt shop to inspire me. :-)
Old 01-08-2007, 03:42 PM

thanks for your suggestions. I did go fondle some new fabrics, batiks, and it worked, now my wallet is lighter and so is my heart. I'm sewing again, and my cat is happy too, she likes to keep me company on the cutting table under the ott lite.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:50 PM

N.J.Linda I had the same thing happen to me this fall. I'd just finished a big project for my daughter and just couldn't get going on another quilt. I finally fell back on a quilt project that I'd wanted to make for about 4 years and kept putting off. I'd collected all the fabric and it was all neatly arranged in a box waiting for me. Look out though! That broke my logjam and now I have 4 projects going.

I hope you'll get back in your quilting groove real soon. It's awful not wanting to do what you love!
Old 01-09-2007, 03:14 AM
Banned

Hmmm... is your "quilt space" the problem? I find my creativity totally smothered if my space gets cluttered or disorganized. Maybe go through and sort everything out, spruce it up a bit, make some changes. Change is after all, the spice of life!
Old 01-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Suz

Linda,
As you head down Route 1, there is a wonderful quilt shop in Lewes, Delaware called "The Bear's Mare" or is "The Mare's Bear". Regardless it is about 3 miles off Rt. 1. Take the first turn left into Lewes, go straight, cross a canal bridge and it is on the left shortly after crossing the bridge. You will love it. The people are great. I visit everytime we go to the beach and since I also have a friend there, she takes me to her quild meetings. (Our choice is Rehoboth Beach, DE. Have been going tor RB for approximately 12 years.) Suzanne
Old 03-04-2007, 11:48 AM

Hi Tootie, a long time ago back in november, you replied to my delema about being uninspired. THANK YOU. I did take a class, just sat in on the first one but just being there and listening to the girls started my creative juices flowing. Since then I have completed 2 baby quilts ( actually did the quilting on one with my new walking foot) and am working on a large one for my nephew called Icicles, I saw it in a quilting magazine and loved it for him.

I also just took a class at the N.J. quilt show this weekend on "FALLing in love with curves". Well the first square was good for a laugh, but they are progressively getting better. Think I'll put them in the quilt in the order that I made them so you can see my progress.