Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Having trouble with long, 9-degree triangles >

Having trouble with long, 9-degree triangles

Having trouble with long, 9-degree triangles

Old 07-07-2015, 11:16 AM

Default Having trouble with long, 9-degree triangles

I am working on this free download pattern, which doesn't seem to be available for download anymore, but I found this picture of the quilt offered as a kit:

http://www.craftycornerquiltandsewingshoppe.com/shop/Kits---Name-of-quilt-opens-for-more-information/p/Two-Bluebirds-Quilt-Kit-x4118198.htm

The triangles are sewn together in alternating directions to make the two columns. I pinned the straight edges of the triangle pairs together, matching the ends as I would normally do when sewing two pieces of fabric together. As I sewed the pairs of triangles together into larger groups, I noticed that the column was slanting. I wondered how I could sew the straight piece of fabric representing the trunk, to this slanting column. I decided to trim the edges of the first column to get a straight edge (even though the quilt measurements given indicated they hadn't trimmed theirs).

The result of the trimming was that the triangles no longer looked like the photo of the quilt. In the photo, the triangles are skewed, which gives movement and interest. What I ended up with was each pair of triangles forming a rectangle with the bottom edge on the true horizontal. It looks flat and static this way.

Can anyone explain why the column is slanting, and if I should somehow be sewing the triangles together differently to avoid this?

Below is a photo of the first, sewn and trimmed column, and below that is a photo of the two columns before sewing (where the triangles do look skewed, as in the quilt photo). Unfortunately, I didn't take a photo of the first column slanting.
Attached Thumbnails imgp0257_fotor.jpg   imgp0259_fotor_fotor.jpg  

Last edited by joe'smom; 07-07-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:52 AM

Are you sewing in opposite directions each time? If you sew all your strips in the same direction it can skew your column?
Old 07-07-2015, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

When sewing triangles tigether, you cannot actually match the ends. The little dog ear at the end has to hand over so the pieces line up. I think your strip looks fine trimmed though.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by notmorecraft View Post
Are you sewing in opposite directions each time? If you sew all your strips in the same direction it can skew your column?
I have not been sewing in opposite directions each time! I will try that with the second column. Thanks!

Tartan, there is a tiny little dog ear hanging over on each end when I match the triangles.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

Love the selection of fabrics you are working with. I try to avoid sewing on a bias edge unless I have starched it almost to death!
Old 07-07-2015, 01:15 PM

When I have long triangles to sew together, I fold them in half to find the center of the sides that will be sewn together. I make a "finger crease" and match up the creases and sew. I'd also probably starch them (altho most times I'm too lazy). Be really careful when pressing because they'll stretch easily.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:34 PM

Do not press until you are done and press with a lift and set down motion, not glide, starch the heck out of it, cut precise and sew precise. The 1/4 ins seam has to be just that or it will slant. I think it is the 1/4 seam that is giving you the trouble.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:42 PM

I wonder if you are trying to be "too exact"? Looking at your target quilt, it seems to me the triangles are not all exactly the same---perhaps wedge shaped strips sewn on in a more free-form method??
Old 07-07-2015, 02:35 PM

Thank you all for your insights and suggestions! I will try finger-pressing the centers.

Jeanne S, the pattern does call for cutting the triangles using the 9 degree wedge or triangle ruler, and then sewing them together. I agree, though, that whatever method they used ended up looking nicely haphazard.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

If you look closely at the pic of the original quilt, it looks like the first (top) wedge is cut in half lengthwise, with the cut edge forming the top of the strip, and becoming its horizontal reference. As the rest of the wedges are sewn to this, they skew a bit so that if you drew a line down the long center of each of the wedges, they would be exactly horizontal (parallel to the top edge). If you don't cut the first wedge in half, you wind up making rectangles with the 2 wedges because of the complimentary angles.
If this is not clear, let me know and I can draw a picture.
The other thing is you have laid your colors out in a much more harmonious grouping, so the movement is more subtle.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 07-07-2015 at 03:57 PM.