Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: hawaiian quilts???

hawaiian quilts???

i was born in hawaii and lived there until i was 12 and i have always wanted to make a hawaiian quilt...can anyone who has made one help me ? i really would like to make one in a pineapple pattern or palm tree....thanks for any help or advice in advance

Blog Entries
    I suggest using a Quilt Smart pattern. They save a set of 4 blocks. I made the 4 blocks in the set.
    Quiltsmart.com. You will find it under Snuggler Packs

I did a Hawaian quilted pillow a few years ago. It was done as a reverse applique. I just found this site that has free applique patterns. When I made my pillow I bought the book Hawaiian Quilting by Elizabeth Root.
    http://www.poakalani.net/resources.html

Power Poster
    You might want to look around this site. www.pacificrimquiltco.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    You might want to look around this site. www.pacificrimquiltco.com
    This is the best resource I know of. You can buy here DVD and patterns ... or after watching the DVD make your own designs. She did a presentation and workshop for one of my quilting groups and it was awesome.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I love love love Pacific Rim quilting. My first intro to Nancy Chong and Hawaiian quilting was a course I took at QuiltUniversity.com I also love PRQC's 2FAQ--I think I've made 5 already and am about to order the zebra that is currently on special. This past summer, I made one of her large Hawaiian quilts--108x108; it needs only to be quilted now. There are a wide range of patterns on her site--it is hard to narrow it down to only one!

Laurie

Another vote for PRQC. If you get a chance, go to one of Nancy Chong's talks or classes. She has an amazing amount of energy and makes everything exciting and fun. I made a quilt using some of her smaller blocks - Hawaiian Applique quilt - and have made quite a few of her 2FAQ's. (Here are just a few of them - 2 Fabric Applique Quilts - 2FAQ)

I really want to start a full-size traditional Hawaiian quilt. Someday...

You may want to look for a book (or two). I made a hawaiian quilt several years ago, all handstitched as that seems to be the traditional approach. But my sister bought me a book about Hawaiian quilts recently, and it had several more modern variations on the strictly traditional. For example, traditionally, the quilt would be 2 colour, like my picture. But more modern hawaiian quilts apparently frequently use many colours. You will need to decide what you are aiming for, which is why I think checking out some books might be useful

Name:  P1270027.JPG
Views: 286
Size:  26.1 KB

Elizabeth Root ..... "the Pillows to Patch Quilt Collection... the Hawaiian Way" is the one book I have. This book has two sizes for each of her patterns. Large & small.

This is her website with all her books on it. http://www.quiltshawaii.com/books.html they say that her Bread Fruit pattern is a good beginners pattern.

She even has a couple free patterns here: http://www.quiltshawaii.com/freepattern.html

Tricia
    http://tricia-ramblingsofaquilter.blogspot.com/
    Currently working on a "Flat Curtis" with boy child