Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
heat resistant ironing board fabric >

heat resistant ironing board fabric

heat resistant ironing board fabric

Old 08-28-2013, 09:41 PM

Default heat resistant ironing board fabric

I am making ironing mat caddys. What it is is an ironing mat that you can fold your iron in and take it to retreats, vacation or wherever you want.
Where I live there is one store that you can buy fabric at, joanns or walmart.
I called the fabric store a few days ago to see if they sell heat resistant ironing board fabric and they do by the yard at $7.49 a yard. I think its 42 inches wide. So when my daughter got off work today we went there and they were closed... aww shucks. So we went to joanns...they have it too on the bolt. FOR $9.99 a yard unreal the price difference. My daughter checked on her phone if joanns had a coupon.. and they did 60% off one cut. So I got 2 yards at $4.00 a yard. BUT it was by chance that we even went to joanns as I would rather support the local fabric store. Why such a big price discrepancy?
Old 08-29-2013, 12:49 AM

I made one last year and I only had normal cotton on top of thermal lining on one side the other side I used thicker curtain 100%cotton . I put ties on the top and used as an ironing board. I didn't make caddy shape I have know put press studs on opposite sides to stop ironing sliding out. When iron is out can use on the ironing board.
Did you do hexagons at NEC LAST YEAR. I took it with me there it was used by others on the ironing board in th window.

Last edited by DOTTYMO; 08-29-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:40 AM
Power Poster

we had this discussion yesterday at quilt group. consumers LIKE to use coupons because they feel they are getting a good deal. because of this, the retailers adjust their prices up to allow for the usage of coupons. i just wish that all the stores would just put a fair price on all of their goods and skip the coupons and sales. [sigh]
Old 08-29-2013, 05:47 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
we had this discussion yesterday at quilt group. consumers LIKE to use coupons because they feel they are getting a good deal. because of this, the retailers adjust their prices up to allow for the usage of coupons. i just wish that all the stores would just put a fair price on all of their goods and skip the coupons and sales. [sigh]
A perfect example of this process preference by customers was the near collapse of the "new" JC Penney's that debuted a year or so ago.....and it's firing of the "new" CEO followed by a return to the old way of doing business. Interesting to watch.

But nearly everybody here now feels that Joanns is particularly infamous for hiking up their prices so they can discount them -- worse than almost any other store known, so not everybody is taken in by the coupon frenzy.

Jan in VA
Old 08-29-2013, 08:50 PM

Was it the same brand? I always wonder if Joann's inflates their prices since almost no one I know buys anything without a coupon or a killer sale there. I bought mine from Joann's online since I don't have a local store. I can't remember how much it was but I know I used a coupon. I think I got free shipping too.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:05 PM

I only shop at Joann's without a coupon when they are having a really great sale or I'm desprate for an item and they are the only place I can find it in stock.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
Was it the same brand? I always wonder if Joann's inflates their prices since almost no one I know buys anything without a coupon or a killer sale there. I bought mine from Joann's online since I don't have a local store. I can't remember how much it was but I know I used a coupon. I think I got free shipping too.
Yes it was the same stuff. My daughter checked into it today. I have several 60% off coupons and in the next day or two, im going to go get some more..
Old 08-30-2013, 06:11 AM

Are you talking about the silver teflon fabric? I usually wait until I have a coupon and buy a bolt. It's great for making potholders, which is my sister's specialty, so I keep a couple yards and send her the rest. That way, I'm guaranteed an endless supply of potholders, which I give as gifts and thank yous.