Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: heat setting signature blocks????

heat setting signature blocks????

Back from son's wedding. I have the quilt top where everyone signed and am getting ready to quilt it. I was told to iron the writing to heat set it. Is that all I need to do or are there any other steps or suggestions? Don't want them to fade or wash away. I am using fusible batting so it will be washed at least once. Thanks for any help. BTW, the top is scrappy and will actually be the back. I am doing the quilting from the back like a whole cloth with a wedding announcement type theme, hopefully will turn out how I envision it.
    Jeanann

PROQUILTINATING : Working on quilting when you should be cleaning, doing laundry, or cooking.

Make sure you didn't use the pen that dissapears with heat. I used that one on purpose then went over the signatures with a fine tip permanant fabric marker. Just in case there were some unacceptable words on the quilt blocks. But the first ink dissapeared after retracing and ironing the blocks.

The heat from ironing on the interfacing should be good. Show a picture when you have this finished.

Some people embroider over the handwritten messages and signatures - which could be a lot of work!!

Just don't be in a hurry. Press them several times over a period of a few days.

What type of pen/ink did you use for the signatures? I used Pigma micron and did not heat set (other than the heat it got from pressing when assembling the quilt). I did not have problem.

I would dry iron -- not steam as I have had some bleeding with some of the pens when I ironed with steam.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Just be sure not to have any water in your iron. Use a dry iron and it should set it.

I've always used a pigma pen and heat set with a slightly damp pressing cloth on top of the signature squares and a HOT DRY iron. Please test this first on a practice piece, but I learned this from my Mom & she quilted over 50+ years before passing away last year.
    Don't sing of yesterday; yesterday is gone. Tomorrow isn't written. Make today your song.