Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Heavy Duty Sewing Machine...

Blog Entries
    Does anyone have a suggestion for a heavy duty sewing machine which my daughter-in-law could use to mend their horse blankets. She hates to mess up her regular machine by using it on heavier items.

Blog Entries
    My daughter's MIL uses an older Featherweight for their upholstery business. It sews through anything :wink: :D :D

Banned
    My vote would be a Singer 31-15 or 31-21 industrial.

The 31-15 uses the regular class 15 bobbins and can be used for anything from tailoring to blankets, canvas and oiled cloths.

The 31-21 can be used for leather like sewing shoes and light saddles. The max rpm for these machines are 2200 rpm so they really fly but could easily be slowed down to a comfortable pace.

Depending on how heavy the material you could use a Singer 29, I am looking for one of those for my long arm quilting, treadled of course!!! :thumbup:

Billy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    My daughter's MIL uses an older Featherweight for their upholstery business. It sews through anything :wink: :D :D
    I am surprised that she hadn't split the case on the machine by sewing heavy materials. It is only a thin aluminum casting and the bosses on the bottom can snap off.

Billy

Blog Entries
    Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.