Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Heavy quilt >

Heavy quilt

Heavy quilt

Old 11-25-2014, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

I have always used Hobbs 80/20 for quilting since it first came out. I find it lighter than W&N. I personally don't like heavy quilting done with Hobbs because the batting has a fluffiness that does want to puff up.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:24 AM

Oddly enough I made a king sized quilt in the day and night pattern (which has a lot of pieces) I used flannel for the backing it was tied and never felt heavy to any who slept under it. Perhaps it is the combination of things that they would complain.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:25 AM

I forgot to mention the batting was warm and natural.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:23 AM

My softest quilts are my hand quilted ones. I also think by heavy maybe people are referring to the stiffness of it. I currently have one on my bed that I FMQed on my domestic machine and it has quite a bit of quilting and I think it makes it stiffer - not necessarily heavier. Just my opinion. Interesting discussions though.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by w1613s View Post
I'm thrilled with this thread. One question, though. What exactly is "too heavy"? DH and I have had the too heavy conversation. Because I do not feel the sensation, I cannot really understand. Is too heavy a pain somewhere? Does it mean one cannot turn over easily? Is it something that aggravates a bad back? What is it? It seems it would help us to have a clearer idea of what is being meant so we can respond appropriately.
Pat
As a person with arthritis, I can't sleep with something that weighs on me. It is difficult to move around, and much more difficult if their is something weighty or at all clingy that you have to move off you before you can move yourself. In colder weather I use a down comforter; down holds a tremendous amount of air, so it's buoyant and I can move around freely under it. In less cold weather, I have a small, old quilt that was made with poly and quilted minimally in the ditch very far apart, so it is puffy and buoyant. It doesn't add resistance to movement. Something dense, like a heavily quilted quilt that holds no air, pins you down.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:35 AM

The quilt was for twin bed and the backing was cotton
Old 11-25-2014, 09:40 AM

This is the new quilt in progress, all from stash. Will see if I ca get a good picture of the quilting on her old one. I sent that one out to a long arm quilter[ATTACH=CONFIG]500163[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 11-26-2014, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
My 84 year old Mom has a quilt I made with Hobbs 80/20 batting with pretty dense quilting. Mom says quilt is now to heavy for her. My sister has asked me to make her a new top then her church will tie it. Her friends have told her it's the quilting that makes it heavy. Do you think it's the quilting and tieing will make it lighter?
The Palace Windows quilt I just finished is not quilted so heavily for this very reason. I finished the pillow shams first and they were heavy, so I knew I had to make some adjustments somehow. So, to answer your question, yes, quilts do become heavier in relation to the amount of quilting. Also, I have wondered (maybe even worried) that some materials are too heavy to begin with. I know it is the style to use the heavier cottons, but sometimes even my tops un-quilted are almost unmanageable. I have been tempted to use lighter weight cottons or even blends.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:30 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]500234[/ATTACH]The quilting on the quilt that was to heavy for Mom
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 11-26-2014, 07:48 AM

Maybe your mom wants something more like a comforter that is soft and squishy as well as being light. Maybe she has something in mind already that she has seen or held. Good luck in whatever you decide. I would tied it though and not quilt it.