Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heirloom Quilt

about 2 degrees north of H-E-double hockey sticks
    What do you think makes a quilt a true heirloom? Is it the quality of the fabric, handstitching, pattern? I'm looking forward to all of your opinions.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beffy_Boo
    What do you think makes a quilt a true heirloom? Is it the quality of the fabric, handstitching, pattern? I'm looking forward to all of your opinions.
    It's the joy that the present owner feels whenever she or he thinks of the maker, as well as the feeling of gratitude that the quilt is now theirs. Fabric, quality, pattern and handstitching have absolutely nothing to do with it.

I agree....I think it's more about the "feeling" of both the person making it and getting it. Like...I can tell you that I have yet to make what I would consider an "heirloom" quilt. I've been "playing" and "practicing" up til now. I do have clothes from both my mom and dad who both recently passed away that will be used to make quilts....those will be heirlooms to me. I will cry over them, laugh over them and carefully plan and plan again the perfect placement for each piece....I will wrap them carefully and present them to my children in a way that they will know how special they are. My guess is that they will see them as heirlooms as well. It is an interesting question though....look forward to seeing what others say.

A love for the person making the item and for the item it's self.

Blog Entries
    Something that will be cherished for a very long time, passed down to the next generation, and no matter the quality, the design or the workmanship, it is loved as it is.

Very good answers, I had also wondered what an heirloom quilt was.

I don't know the real definition, but it seems like it would be something that is loved for years and years, and cherished just as long.

For me, it would be a long-term project with a lot of interest, like a Dear Jane or something. With many hours of love put into it.

I do cringe a bit when Grandson hangs his handmade quilts over chairs for his friends to play under. On the other hand, he loves them so much. He'll learn to care for them later.

I've put together quilts made from pajamas and clothes, reworked some tops so they could be quilted. It seems the memories are what makes an heirloom.

Blog Entries
    Just think about what "heirloom" means. If you look up the definition, it is something that is passed down for generations through your family. It can be anything...jewelery, art, furniture, quilts.

Banned
    I believe it depends on how you define "heirloom".
    Is it the appraisal quality which involves the workmanship in the piece or

The emotional value of the piece.

Traditionally I believe the workmanship in the piece determans the status of heirloom.

The Natioal Quilting Association has a special category of "Master Quilter". The quilts that are judged in this category are certainly heirlooms.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast