Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Heirloom Sewing and Smocking?

Quilting and heirloom sewing, smocking go together. I have been sewing for years and never learned how to smock. I recently purchased a very nice smocking machine from Craigslist and at a loss on how to use it? Does anyone know where to find or how to locate how to begin learning to smock? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    http://www.everythingsewing.net/videohowto2.htm

Here are some free videos you may be interested in.

Oh I love smocking....I have lots of plates and a smocking machine. Word of advice...never back up your fabric in the smocking machine. It breaks the needles. If it's not going through right it's easier to take out the threads than to find and replace the needles.

smocking can be so much fun. i started nearly 30 years ago when my girls were babies. I saved all my patterns and now use them to make clothes for my GKs. Using the same plates I used for their parents' garments

Blog Entries
    Martha Pullen has a forum she's the best.She knows all that stuff,and she is on Facebook also.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie in CO
    Martha Pullen has a forum she's the best.She knows all that stuff,and she is on Facebook also.
    Yes, check out the Martha pullen forums.

Quote Originally Posted by dinlauren
    Oh I love smocking....I have lots of plates and a smocking machine. Word of advice...never back up your fabric in the smocking machine. It breaks the needles. If it's not going through right it's easier to take out the threads than to find and replace the needles.
    Not only that... run waxed paper through the pleater a few times.. this will help the fabric slide through better and use the Quilting weight thread to pull your pleats I use Navy Blue Or deep Green.. it is stronger ..

Wish you closer, I love to smock, and sure hate to see this art fading away!!!