Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
heirloom? >

heirloom?

heirloom?

Old 01-15-2014, 01:47 PM

Default heirloom?

see a LOT of declarations of "i'm not making heirloom quilts" and it always stops me.

what does it mean to say that with certainty?

the only way to know if a quilt will become an heirloom is to see 3 or 4 generations into the future. you never know what might be considered an heirloom from the point of view of the present.

this includes award winning show quilts. they may not endure at all, while that utility qult or memory quilt could find its way into collection for reasons we cannot predict.

always makes me think about the ways we make history is all

aileen
Old 01-15-2014, 02:11 PM

well some of my quilts I don't expect to last 5 years let alone become a heirloom..... I am still learning, hoping that someday I will have enough experience to know how to make a quilt that I love enough to hope is still around when I am 90
Old 01-15-2014, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

Good post. And look at all the "heirloom" quilts that we find in thrift stores. They lasted, but, they ended up looking for love in an unlikely place. I don't expect my quilts to live forever. I quilt mainly for my own pleasure and if someone ends up with one of mine, and enjoys it, that is satisfaction enough for me.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

When I say that it is because I make quilts that I want to make. The only way they could become heirloom in my opinion is to not use them and store as museums would store them. Not gonna happen. The ones I have given away get the daylights washed out of them. They are washed as often as bedsheets. Most people don't want to take proper care of them.
I make quilts because I love all the process and I'm trying to use up my stash and fabrics. I bought it for me to use. My oldest Daughter and oldest Granddaughter will have to decide what to do with the many,many ones I leave behind.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:46 PM

There's another set of "heirloom quilts" They are blocks made with heirloom sewing techniques a la Martha Pullen.
They use pintucks, laces, embroidery. Pfaff taught similar in classes. Heirloom quilt would mean that type to me. Antique would mean the other.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:31 PM

To me heirloom means passed from one generation to the next. I expect my quilts and handmade gifts to last so I do the very best I can with what I have to work with.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:01 PM

To me when someone says "I'm not making heirloom quilts" it means they want the quilts to be used and not just be put away somewhere. I always include a card with all the quilts I give away and specifically say--this quilt is to be used, please don't put it in a drawer somewhere to keep it "safe". I tell them I don't care how they use the quilt, on a bed, on a couch, on the wall, etc; JUST USE IT!
Old 01-15-2014, 04:12 PM

I don't make a quilt with the intention that it becomes heirloom, but if it happens to last and be cherished from one generation to another, that would be fine.

The issue kind of reminds me of the situation with baptismal gowns for infants. You can make an "heirloom" baptismal gown that is meant to be used from one generation to another. However, some babies are baptized wearing blue footie pajamas. If someone wants to keep those common footie pajamas for the next generation, then they become an "heirloom" that is meaningful in their family.

As I said, I don't make quilts with the intention or expectation that they become heirlooms, but if someone wants them to be, that is their call. I do try to make them sturdy enough to last as long as possible.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:59 PM

I have quilts from my great-grandmother and grandmother. The fabrics are fragile, so they are no longer used, but displayed for admiration of the work these ladies did. I would not call them heirloom as they aren't fancy, but were made for daily use. The hand-quilting is exceptional, though and seeing them is a joy.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:53 PM

To me, an heirloom quilt is one that took a very long time to make with great details and is more of a work of art to be admired, than something to actually use. I want all of my quilts to be loved and used, therefore I have never called any of my quilts heirlooms. I would much rather see one of my quilts loved and used, than placed into a glass cabinet to only be admired from a distance.