Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hello! New here and jumping in with Machine Purchase help >

Hello! New here and jumping in with Machine Purchase help

Hello! New here and jumping in with Machine Purchase help

Old 09-28-2015, 02:25 PM

Never give up on your dream machine, whatever it might turn out to be. I have a friend who bought a Symphony a couple of years ago. She loves it. I look at it and think... damn is that going to be expensive when it breaks. My dream machine is my 1970s Bernina 830 Record. I have run it for 10 years now and no signs of it fading. She looks at it and wonders how I can sew anything on it.

Think about what you NEED in a machine and then budget that much money for those features. Every little cool doodad you add to a machine is one more thing that can and will break.

tim in san jose
Old 09-28-2015, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

Apparently the Janome 8900 is very similar to the 7700:
http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...w-machine.html
Old 09-28-2015, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to the QB... In the past, I had the Juki TL98Q [now 2010] and sold it with my 'long arm' setup when I moved. Loved that machine!!!! I now have the Juki HZL F600. In a recent class, others were fussing with the tensions when we were using transparent thread... Not Me! The tension on this machine is perfect from the factory, even when switching threads. [I usually stick to prewounds in the bobbin]. This is a great machine. I had tested a similar model of Bernina and it did not perform nearly as well and was half again more money. I had ordered both of my Jukis through the mail and have not regretted either machine.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:36 PM

A warm welcome from western ky for taking to class or retreats I love my fws for at home I love my old German made pfaffs 7570s it has all the fancy stitches I could want and also embroidery not the real big as new machines but it does what I want, good luck and hope you find a machine you will love
Old 09-28-2015, 03:37 PM

I bought a new Juki TL2010q almost two years ago and love it. Never had a single issue with it and I have made over 30 quilts on it. Limited to straight line stitching, but is heavy duty, great throat space and has never skipped a stitch on me or had any tension issues. For $1,000, it is a fantastic machine. I did by it locally, but it has never left home since I got it!
Old 09-28-2015, 03:40 PM

I bought a Janome 7700 from allbrands.com for $2,499.00 with free shipping in June and I love it. I love the big throat, the Sew Steady table I bought for it, the number of stitches and all the specialty feet that came with it. I had to fiddle with the tension when I first got it but that was and easy fix. I haven't done any FMQ with it yet, but that's next.

Have fun shopping for your machine.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:52 PM

I have the Janome 8900 and it is a fantastic machine. Buy the special bobbin case for FMQ and you are good to go. I purchased mine for $2250.00 from TOPS in Sarasota, FL., shipping included, two years ago. I don't know if they are still able to ship out of state, but they did when I got mine. Since I couldn't take advantage of their classes and support, I paid $100.00 for unlimited classes from a dealer closer to me.

I also have the Brother PQ1500s, which is basically a Juki 2010 clone and I really love that machine. For a while I had the Brother set up for FMQing and the Janome for everything else, but do like the extra 2-1/2" harp space in the Janome so use it for almost everything now. The Brother is less expensive than the Juki. Since I just purchased a Bailey Home Quilter on a frame, I should sell the Brother, but just can't bring myself to do so yet.

If you can afford it, I don't think you'll regret getting the Janome 8900. But I echo what others are saying -- I would hesitate getting it from that same dealer.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:53 PM

Welcome!!!! I have the Juki HZL-600 and I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee her to death not one issue and I sew almost every day. She is smooth, reliable and easy to use and set up. The Juki 2010 is also on my horizon at some point. I also have a Janome 6500 I hate, and I am really thinking about giving it to my SIL as it just sits on the shelf.........let us know which one you get and be sure to share photos too!!!!
Old 09-28-2015, 04:15 PM

Geez...this is sooooo hard to decide! Thank you all for your wonderful input! I'm calling another dealer tomorrow morning. Spoke with the Juki guy today, his price is really good for the Juki's but I'm stuck with them if I don't like them.

For Juki owners, is adjusting the tension like a major pain in the rear? I'm afraid of that.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

the juki dials are convenient, but i've not had to adjust them