Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hello and Thank you >

Hello and Thank you

Hello and Thank you

Old 02-25-2011, 09:51 AM

Everyone has been so helpful and welcoming here! Thanks to all of you. I wish I had more time on here to view everyone's quilt pics and topics. The few quilts I looked at were PHENOMENAL! I hope to be half as good some day.

I am machine quilting with a regular machine but I don't have a walking foot. I have only done one project and it was a table runner so the clerk at JoAnns said I could just use a regular foot since the batting was thin. At what point, or loft, should I definitely have a walking foot? I am currently working my way up to a lap quilt and I will go from there but I don't know what loft to use or ounce batting and I am unsure of the foot.

Do all of you machine quilt or hand sew? I have no patience for hand sewing but it would be cool to learn to do it with a group. Do any of you belong to a guild? There are some here but too far away. I was thinking of trying to start a quilting circle at the library but I am unsure if there would be any interest. Have any of you done this?
Old 02-25-2011, 10:10 AM

Best of luck with your endeavors. I think it would be great to inquire in creating a quilting group - you may be pleasantly surprised. I enjoy the time hand quilting (no frame, just thorough basting of quilt) in my lap while watching/listening to TV. As long as my fingers hold out, I'll continue.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:15 AM

My hat is off to you! That takes time and patience, of which I have very little of each but I feel like I am kind of cheating by not doing it by hand. I thought if I could get a group together, maybe I could learn and at least give it a try. I don't get to watch TV much or if I do, it is while I am doing many other things so sitting is not an option. I sure admire those of you who do the hand sewing. It is a great tradition that I would love to pass on to my girls but they really don't have much interest in it. (sad face) Maybe if I have grandchildren I could teach them!
Old 02-25-2011, 10:23 AM

I think when you move up to your lap size quilt, you will find a walking foot helpful. The weight of the quilt can drag the machie down and a walking foot really helps with that.

Personally, I hand sew nothing. Not even bindings. If I'm going to do hand work, it will be embroidery. I have no patience for any other kind of handwork. I admire it, but I can't stand to do it.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:41 AM

My machine is about thirty years old I will have to write to Sears to get one. Are they somewhat universal?
Old 02-25-2011, 10:45 AM

Hi-I mostly hand-quilt and hand applique-but have done some machine applique as well. I am only beginning to learn to FMQ small items on my Brother machine. I have a walking foot, but since I mostly hand-quilt, I use it for sewing on all my bindings, then hand-stitching it on the back. I wouldn't do binging without it!! It handles the thickness evenly without "pulling", making the binding pucker. Machine quilting should take most any thickness or type of batting, but hand-quilting is more limited. I think it would be worth at least giving hand-quilting a go-I LOVE the hand-made look and find it so relaxing-who knows, maybe you will also really like it. It doesn't mean you have to always hand-quilt, but there might be that one project that really would benefit from the look of hand-quilting. There are many TUTS available on line (U-tube) with excellent instruction. Good luck!
Old 02-25-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by mona202
My machine is about thirty years old I will have to write to Sears to get one. Are they somewhat universal?
There are "genaric" walking feet, but since your machine is old, I would see if you can use one of these on your machine. Don't know if Sears has one for an older machine. Maybe see if the store will allow you to try it on and test it if you bring your machine in.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

I do everything by machine. The walking foot comes in handy for any straight stitch quilting (like grids, or stitch-in-the-ditch). Some people use an open toe foot without walking foot. They say that going slow and using a larger stitch eliminates the need for the walking foot. It also helps to make the quilt sandwich real taut. The less play you have between the layers, the less there is to pucker.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:55 AM

Hello Mona! Welcome to the board. I am not sure about your questions but you will no doubt get many responses. This is a great place to learn and share. Glad you joined us.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:55 AM

Great idea...start a group yourself! If you try and start a group I bet you'd find others. I only piece on my machine...haven't had much luck quilting on my machine. Maybe sometime I'll try again. I do have a walking foot.
I used to hand quilt with a group at a church...I brought them one of my quilts to do and they invited me to help. I stayed for 2 years! It was really a wonderful learning and social experience, plus excellent potlucks! I loved the ladies that taught me so much.
Gradually you find out what you like to do best. I don't belong to a guild now, but did in a bigger city. All my quilts are machine quilted by those who have the machine, and I force myself to bind...it isn't hard to do but I don't like to.It will be fun to see where you are with quilting in a year! Happy quilting and learning!