Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with "Stitch in a Ditch" >

Help with "Stitch in a Ditch"

Help with "Stitch in a Ditch"

Old 05-13-2010, 01:02 AM
Gal

I am sorry I cannot give you help with your exact problem but I can relate to having to get used to a new machine entirely, where everything seems new, at first you think you cannot do it, everything is in the too hard basket, and you want the old machine back which you new inside out! I gave my old manual machine to my daughter and I miss it as I could go a lot faster on it than having to look up all the instructions with the new one, which is SO different to my old machine.
Make sure you read your manual well and understand it, and that any attachments are the correct ones for your model of machine, and that they are attached in the correct way. Sometimes it is such a small thing which is overlooked which can put everything out, eg even threading the wrong way or using the wrong threads etc. I would call on your dealer if you have exhausted all these avenues. There are so many models out there even in the one brand of machine with various upgrades, not all are interchangable so you do need to familarise yourself with your particular model of machine and all that it is capable of achieving.
Gal
Old 05-13-2010, 01:05 AM
Power Poster

I'd say the same thing. Don't give up, Berninas are great machines, it is just a lot different to your Singer and will take time to adjust. When I got mine, I didn't even try to use the emb. module for 18 months, because there was so much to learn on the machine itself. Then, when I was really happy with how to use the machine, I took a one day workshop on the emb module and was away! I don't suggest you take that long, but perhaps a class on it might be a help. I have rarely altered my tension so if that was the problem, perhaps the dealer should have serviced it for you before you brought it home.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:03 AM
Power Poster

Hugs! I just got a new machine, too, and right now its just waiting for me to use it...LOL, its intimadating me!
Old 05-13-2010, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Momwood
Well-- I am in trouble again!!!! I ordered a design pack that is a Bernina Artista design pack. I just got it and it is a "card" My machine doesn't have a place to put this card. How do I use it?
I am so sorry you are having trouble. Don't give up, a Bernina is an awesome machine, but can be sort of intimidating. I just upgraded from a 440 to a 730 and even just upgrading caused me some stress because I knew the 440 in and out. I got her in March and there is no class until May...can hardly wait.

But back to your problem. Definitely see if you can get a class, it will make you feel a LOT better about your machine.
I don't know what model you have, but if your machine doesn't have a slot for the card, then, yes, you do need a card reader to get the design to your machine or computer. If you have to use EC on PC to link to your machine, you still need the card reader (also known as a magic box). When you use your computer with your machine, designs can be transferred by CD, downloaded to your machine from the internet, or by a jump drive (also known as a thumb drive). Just maybe, if you can't exchange the card, perhaps your dealer could transfer the designs from card to CD.

Bottom line is, your dealer should be able to, and should be willing, to talk you through all of this. My dealer has been my lifeline as I work to learn my machine until I can take the class (which is free with purchase and can take as many times as I want.)

Hang in there, you will be glad you did. PM me if you think I can help.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:48 AM

I hope you will take the above advice, and take a class asap. Berninas are great machines. I hope you don't give up on it. One more suggestion - I always calibrate my machine regularly, especially after I move it.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Minda
I hope you will take the above advice, and take a class asap. Berninas are great machines. I hope you don't give up on it. One more suggestion - I always calibrate my machine regularly, especially after I move it.
How do you calibrate it? Is this only for Berninas or others as well? I don't have a Bernina, only a BabyLock that I've had for 21 years. I am hoping to have it for many more years because I LOVE it. I would probably get a Bernina if my BL died.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:14 AM

How do you calibrate a Bernina? I just got a used 180E and don't know a thing about Bernina's.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:56 AM

If you can calibrate your Bernina, it will tell you how in the index under S - go to:

Set-up Program
Screen Calibration
Old 05-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Google Goddess

call the dealer and tell them about all of your troubles
Old 11-05-2010, 07:46 AM

when stitching in the ditch do you start at top or the bottom. Message was posted on this topic but can't find it now. I hope someone understands what I am talking about.