Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help / Advice >

Help / Advice

Help / Advice

Old 04-24-2014, 01:14 PM

Thanks so much!
Old 04-24-2014, 01:59 PM

I found a raspberry dessert pattern that looks like it would go good with the dream catcher blocks. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2014, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

What you have described sounds like you might only use 5 of the embroidered blocks, one in the center and one on each side???
Anyway, 20" is a very odd size for an unfinished block. You have to allow 1/4" on all sides for the seam, so you would be looking for a block that finishes at 19.5", which basically doesn't exist. You can't use four 10 inch blocks, because that would finish at 20.5 and not fit with your embroidered blocks.
What I would do is look for a 12" block that you like. Here's a selection from quilter's cache:
http://www.quilterscache.com/BlocksbySizeC.html

Make 4 of these and join them, resulting in a big block that would measure 24.5" square. Add a fabric 'frame' to your embroidered blocks, either white to blend or a contrasting solid to really frame it, to bring your embroidered squares up to 24.5". Now all the blocks will fit.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:31 AM

If you want advise, here's mine: if you are new to quilting, don't start with two king size quilts that you don't know how to put together. I admire your vision, but I have found that nothing kills your enthusiasm faster that an overwhelming project with problem after problem. I'd make the dream catcher blocks into pillows or a wall hanging, and use a simpler pattern with precise instructions and directions for your quilts. Also, hand embroidered blocks don't seem like they would stand up well for 2 boys on a bed. Again, I admire your vision, but this is just my advise - since you asked!
Old 04-25-2014, 07:23 AM

Just a thought, but you could use a cool panel for the centers and arrange the dream catchers around it, then add more borders and blocks for size. With all the curves in the embroidery, I would stick to pieced blocks with straight lines for contrast.
In the picture of my quilt you could use my idea of squares around the center piece. Good luck and stay in touch if you need us.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 04-25-2014, 07:35 AM

If you load the pictures into a paint program and change them to pixels 640x480 and save them, they should upload. You can frame the pictures like this on in a simple log cabin.
Attached Thumbnails dscn1018.jpg  
Old 04-25-2014, 08:41 AM

Those quilt blocks are really pretty. I would buy one more set so I had 9 squares for each, and make the Circle of Nine quilt.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:13 PM

quiltmom04, I sure do agree with you on this, I am a newbie and my 1st block was an asteric ? 30 of them, then they were set aside & I made a Bubble Quilt, good grief what was I thinking??? I know what I'm thinking now.....NEVER make a Bubble Quilt again!! I've learned start with the easiest basic pattern (easy kit) and try to work up from there.
Jeri
Old 04-26-2014, 08:46 AM

After the Dream catchers are finished the place the blocks on point and place quilt blocks around them I have A quilt pro but am not proficent enough to work it out quickly to place a picture on here like some of these talented quilters are. I do love the dream catchers and would love to do those myself good luck
Old 04-26-2014, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
If you want advice, here's mine: if you are new to quilting, don't start with two king size quilts that you don't know how to put together. I admire your vision, but I have found that nothing kills your enthusiasm faster that an overwhelming project with problem after problem. I'd make the dream catcher blocks into pillows or a wall hanging, and use a simpler pattern with precise instructions and directions for your quilts. Also, hand embroidered blocks don't seem like they would stand up well for 2 boys on a bed. Again, I admire your vision, but this is just my advice - since you asked!
Sounds like good advice, but sometimes we can do it. When I found a picture of a beautiful crocheted doily, I really wanted to make it. The directions said, "Not for beginners." I had never done crochet before; I was about 15 years old. Well I went ahead and started it. My first stitches were very, very tight. I could hardly get my hook into them. But I persisted and got it done. My stitches relaxed as I went along, and the doily is beautiful, just like the picture. I have forgotten how long it took, but it wasn't too long.
A king size quilt isn't much different from a baby quilt. You just add more blocks. Now, the quilting is another story, but you can get help with that.
Happy quilting.