Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  All you handquilters... please!! >

Help! All you handquilters... please!!

Help! All you handquilters... please!!

Old 01-25-2009, 08:20 AM

Roselady,

I have two personal floor frames. The first is 30"round and I beleive made by Hintenburg. I bought it at a quilt shop. You have to baste the quilt to use this frame. It has a single leg in the middle and rotates. I find that I tend to overextend my arms when using it unless I force myself to rotate more often. I sit in a wing chair to use it.
My second one I ordered at a national quitl show from Grace. It is 24" and square with rounded corners. It has a single base that has an arm that extends sideways from the base and then the hoop rotates. I find I have a problem with the bulk of the quilt that is not in the hoop getting caught on the arm when I go to rotate. It does have a built in extension light that is nice and was free since I purchased it at the show. Both hoops have their advantages and disadvantages. I usually have a dozen or more needles going at the same time. I stitch as far as I can reach with the first one and then go on to the next until the whole hooped surface is quilted. Then I unhoop and move the quilt to where I continue the lines I started.

Both hoops were in the $100 range and I have had them both for a while.

Good luck
Old 01-25-2009, 09:08 AM

There is no brand on it, I looked. It is very old and I got it at a thrift shop probably 20 years ago. All it is is two uprights with notches on the top. The inner hoop has a wing nut and a bolt that slips into the notch, that's how I tilt it to whatever angle and tighten the nuts.

The base is just two pieces of wood for the feet with a crossbar between them and more bolts and wing nuts to hold the uprights.

I bet any do-it-yourselfer or carpenter could make this stand for a purchased wooden hoop in any size. It could fit multiple sizes by using different sized crossbars.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-32915.jpe   attachment-32921.jpe   attachment-32925.jpe  
Old 01-25-2009, 09:27 AM

If you are able to quilt in all directions without moving the quilt around, go for the frame (and as long as you have space for it, too).

I have a hoop. I can move it from room to room (keeping it away from kids and I don't have the space for a frame - yet), and since I can't quite quilt in all directions (still figuring some of that out) this is what I prefer. I also like to keep the quilt loose in the hoop instead of tight, don't know if I can do that in a frame). I find I don't prick my fingers as often.

This probably wasn't much help...
Good luck with your decision, it's a tough one.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:57 PM

lynette, what kind of floor frame do you have?
Old 01-27-2009, 06:37 AM

pittsburgpam has the same frame as I have. I have the original box it came in, all it says is BEACHWOOD LTD. I paid 20.00 for it from a friend. I've had it for years. I quilted two quilts on it and now use a pvc frame.
I do think I will get it out and use it again!!

Have a great day,
simple quilter
Old 01-27-2009, 07:38 AM

I have an old hoop my grandmother gave me its is a large oval probably 12" by 24". That is the only thing I have ever used to hand quilt and like it just fine. It can take my project with me if I want to - I quilt in the car when I know I will be a passenger. I did have to baste my whole quilt but that wasn't that big of a pain in the a**. With the hoop I can turn my work cause I can only quilt right to left :)
Old 01-30-2009, 01:17 PM

I only do hand quilting and bought a frame that sits on the floor and is made of pvc pipe. I bought mine at a flea market for 60 dollars some time back. I would highly recommend this type frame. My mother has one also and we are both well pleased with them. I'm sure someone must have a patten on this type and maybe you could find it on the net.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:58 PM

I also have a floor model Q-Snap frame and find it works very well. :lol:
Very easy to adjust the tension! :lol: