Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with applique >

Help with applique

Help with applique

Old 12-07-2014, 09:29 AM

Default Help with applique

I haven't appliqued in years and I wasn't good at it then. I have a large item I need to put on a background it has a couple of layers.

I thought that if I used heat and bond and iron it on I could iron it to the other layers. I need a quick lesson and I don't have a plastic applique iron thingy...LOL.....the technical quilting term....LOL.

Help me please....
Thanks
DeMaris
Old 12-07-2014, 09:42 AM

Just a small caution...Heat & Bond is not sewable. Heat N Bond Lite is. Read your labels carefully before you use something.

As for the applique cloth, I have heard some people mention using Parchment paper. I would bite the bullet & buy an applique sheet. You will find them made of several different materials.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the advice. I don't have an applique cloth or pad or whatever they are and I live in a very small town and no one carries them. So I have to figure out the next best thing...lol.....thanks again.

I have the Heat and Bond Ultra Hold....I guess when I bought it I didn't want it to come apart...lol.

Thanks
DeMaris
Old 12-07-2014, 09:52 AM

When I can't find my applique cloth I use a flour sack towel over my item and press it. Works the same.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

If it is a large applique, I would draw your design on the H&B backing, then cut the center out so you don't have all that unnecessary adhesive. Leave 1/4" and then carefully lay the H&B on the back of your fabric as shown in photo. One of these days, I am going to have time to applique these flip flops.
Attached Thumbnails flip-flop-back.jpg  
Old 12-07-2014, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
If it is a large applique, I would draw your design on the H&B backing, then cut the center out so you don't have all that unnecessary adhesive. Leave 1/4" and then carefully lay the H&B on the back of your fabric as shown in photo. One of these days, I am going to have time to applique these flip flops.
Wonderful advice----the bigger pieces need to be "windowed out" so you don't have a stiff applique. Even with H&B lite, there will be stiffness on larger pieces that are not cut out like this.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:38 AM

What is the purpose of leaving 1/4 inch all around? Is your image going to be the inside or the whole thing above in the picture. Is that the underneath side of the fabric showing???
Thanks so much I think I am getting it.

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Old 12-07-2014, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

DeMaris, in the photo it is the underside of the fabric showing. The 1/4" rim is the fusible. The "windowing" technique (cutting out the bulk of the fusible in the middle) is what keeps the fused applique soft.

Parchment paper works fine for fusing. I have used it many times and actually prefer it to the applique mats I have.

You need to use fusible on some practice pieces first to make sure that you understand what you are doing.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:00 AM

Ok great, thanks that helps a lot. I am practicing right now and hoping for the best. I love my iron and I would hate to ruin it...lol. So I am making sure I have all my "bases covered".....lol. Making a window make perfect sense now. It is for a flag that is going to hang on a wall and doesn't need to be "perfect".....that's a good thing!!!

Wish me luck .....here I go!!! I will try to post my results later today or on Tuesday.

Thanks again everyone.
DeMaris

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
DeMaris, in the photo it is the underside of the fabric showing. The 1/4" rim is the fusible. The "windowing" technique (cutting out the bulk of the fusible in the middle) is what keeps the fused applique soft.

Parchment paper works fine for fusing. I have used it many times and actually prefer it to the applique mats I have.

You need to use fusible on some practice pieces first to make sure that you understand what you are doing.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

You can make a very sturdy pressing sheet by pressing together two pieces of freezer paper, wax sides together.