Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Assembling the backing please! >

Help with Assembling the backing please!

Help with Assembling the backing please!

Old 09-20-2013, 08:54 AM

Default Help with Assembling the backing please!

Hello All,

I send my tops for longarm quilting.

When it comes to the backing for a queen and king quilt how do you do the backing?

Where do your seams go length (down) or width (across)?
with a 45" wide?
with a 60" wide?
with a 108" wide?

Do you prefer a solid color or a print fabric for the backing?

Do you match your threads for the quilting? (top thread and bobbin)

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-20-2013, 09:13 AM

I prefer a printed backing--it hides your mistakes. I would have the seams vertical depending on the fabric. If the seam makes too much fabric in one place then iron the seams open. I have done it both ways and don't notice much difference.
At this time I have been looking for a very light (not white) backing for my OHMIGOSH quilt. The background is white and cream and I'm afraid that any pattern will show through. I do have plenty of time since it is third or forth on my list of quilts to be finished.
Sue
Old 09-20-2013, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

Actually these are questions best asked of your LAQ. Many LAQ do not like seam running the length of the quilt because they get uneven buildup. Others don't care one way or the other. My favorite is to use wide back fabric. In the long run it is less expensive then 42" wide fabric. Howeve if you are working with a quilt as wide as 108" which is HUGE you would need to enlarge even wide back as most LAQ require a minimum of 8" larger on sides (4" on each side).

If I were dealing with only a 45" wide quilt I would use the diagonal method. http://www.pinkchalkstudio.com/blog/...-flynn-method/

If I don't do a wide back I will often piece the back with orphan blocks and have many seams running across the back but I do my own LAQ so I only have to worry about pleasing myself. I know of many LAQ who dread getting a pieced back and some outright refuse.

Here is a link that to a post that Jan in Va did some wonderful diagrams for piecing quilt backs. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...g-t223319.html

Ultimately though, you should ask you LAQ what they prefer.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

I used to prefer prints for the back, but as my longarming is improving (at least I think it is) I find that I like to show it off on the back of the quilt, so I am using more solids. I also have used lots of heavily pieced backings, in order to use extra blocks or fabric left over from the front, or just because. (And I realize that is a contradiction, because with the heavily pieced backing my quilting really doesn't show much on the back.) I usually try to orient the quilt on the longarm so that the major seams go across, but not always. If the quilt isn't too big I can always turn it sideways to make the seams go across, if that is what I want. I usually have similar threads (in color and weight) in top and bottom, but again not always. I agree with feline fanatic that you should ask your longarmer what she prefers (and why), and if you prefer something different (that she can't work with) then you should find another longarmer.