Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help!!!!! Automatic thread cutter >

help!!!!! Automatic thread cutter

help!!!!! Automatic thread cutter

Old 01-19-2015, 07:09 PM

If your thread cutter is cutting the thread OK, but you are only having a problem when you start the next seam, then what you need is a leader. This is a small scrap of fabric that you run first and then start your seam. The scrap catches the top and bobbin threads, so when you start your seam, the threads are nice and neat. You cut off the scrap when you finish your seam. Easy.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:16 AM

Like Sittingprettty use a leader, I think there has been a thread on this before and it's because of the wide feed dog, one way to stop is use a leader or change your plate and use a straight stitch plate,if you're piecing why not chain piece and that way you're not cutting the thread every time
Old 01-20-2015, 03:39 AM
Power Poster

i had a juki with a thread cutter and found it was easier to not use it. seems a shame.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:23 AM

I've gotten used to pulling my fabric out so the top thread is to the right of the needle, then holding onto it for the first couple of stitches -- it supplies the tension needed to form those first stitches and eliminates that nest of thread on the back. My machine is a Viking Sapphire and I love the thread cutter....but understand that there's very little room under the stitch plate, so no way to make the threads ends longer.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:05 AM

I have a BL that has that thread cutter and I really dislike it! Yes, when it works it leaves a little tangle on the bottom....dealer calls that an automatic knot(ha,ha)...... But most of the time, if I cut thread, then start another piece, if I don't get that fabric to engage immediately with the needle with that first stitch, it will unthread itself on that first stitch because the tail it has is so short, it sucks itself up into the head....then have to go thru the whole ritual of retreading, auto needle threader-another pain in backside......not happy and dealer has moved about 25 miles away, in a direction I don't often go in......but one day, I will pack this baby up and leave it at their doorstep! Ok I feel better now that I have vented!
Old 01-20-2015, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

After using your thread cutter, when starting your next seam preform a ( needle down, needle up) bringing your bobbin thread to the top. Hold both top & bottom threads together as you start to stitch. This will keep you from getting beginning nests.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by notmorecraft View Post
Like Sittingprettty use a leader, I think there has been a thread on this before and it's because of the wide feed dog, one way to stop is use a leader or change your plate and use a straight stitch plate,if you're piecing why not chain piece and that way you're not cutting the thread every time
So much good information here. I have the 8900 and have a similar problem. I did not have this problem with my 6600 or 7700, so I think motmorecraft is right in thinking it could be the wide feed dogs. I don't have any problems when I move the needle over to the 1/4 setting.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:15 AM

All machines with thread cutters have this problem, because they must leave a little thread left, both top and bottom, after cutting. Most machines leave around a quarter inch of thread tails or longer. When you star the next seam, those tails get tangled, (the longer the tails, the larger the knot), so you really need to use a scrap of fabric as a "spider" or a leader piece, for that small tangle to fall on, then chain piece onto your project piece. Also, often machines are fussy about which brands of thread work best with the thread cutter. Some brands of thread will unthread and whip up, disappearing into the machine head when cut with the thread cutter. Like you, I was disappointed to find these problems, wish seller had disclosed them before the sale, and don't use the cutter as much as I thought I would. It's still a nice feature to have sometimes.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:32 PM

Ina e a Janome also with the automTic thread cutter. I love it bu it used to drive me nuts. I have solved the problem by using a small (2x2) leader. I use old blue. jean fabric. Solves my frustration and when it get full, I just pitch it. Once you get use to using it, it becomes automatic and solves your problem. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:29 AM

I discovered that same bundle of thread on the back side of my recent baby quilt when I started each row of my FMQ "chevron" pattern. I hadn't paid much attention before, but it was noticeable on this particular quilt because I stopped and started each stitching row using my thread cutter rather than my usual meander stitching. I have a Janome6600
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0156.jpg