Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HELP Binding is wonky

Unhappy HELP Binding is wonky

Got my latest quilt all pieced together but when I added the binding (2 of them) the edges ended up being a little wonky (wavy). Not a lot but enough that I ended up taking them off & starting fresh. What could I be doing wrong? Would love some help.
    Dance like no one is watching

Are you talking binding or borders?
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

Quote Originally Posted by TerryQuilter View Post
    Are you talking binding or borders?
    ditto ... when you say there are two, it sounds more like you are doing borders,
    ............ different problems, different solutions!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sounds like you are really talking about borders. If so, the reason they are wonky is probably because you just added strips to the sides by laying the border fabric to each side. The way to stop that is:
    1. Measure both the horizontal and vertical sides in the middle and at both edges
    2. Take the shortest measurement for horizontal and vertical and cut the border strips to the size.
    3. Sew on to the edges easing in the border to fit
    4. If you are adding 2 borders, make the 2 strips a unit and then attach as one border, each the same length.
    Hopefully I've explained clearly....By the way, if your quilt top (before borders) measurements are way off you need to square the quilt top before starting this procedure of adding borders. You can ease in up around 1/2 - 3/4 an inch easily but if it's inches off this won't work.

Also sew the borders from the middle out and not top to bottom

Ok, I had a brain freeze !! Yes, I meant borders & not binding. I am working on borders but thinking ahead of how I will do the binding so I had a senior moment. Tks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sally J View Post
    Sounds like you are really talking about borders. If so, the reason they are wonky is probably because you just added strips to the sides by laying the border fabric to each side. The way to stop that is:
    1. Measure both the horizontal and vertical sides in the middle and at both edges
    2. Take the shortest measurement for horizontal and vertical and cut the border strips to the size.
    3. Sew on to the edges easing in the border to fit
    4. If you are adding 2 borders, make the 2 strips a unit and then attach as one border, each the same length.
    Hopefully I've explained clearly....By the way, if your quilt top (before borders) measurements are way off you need to square the quilt top before starting this procedure of adding borders. You can ease in up around 1/2 - 3/4 an inch easily but if it's inches off this won't work.
    Yes, I was talking about borders NOT binding. Call it a senior moment. Tks for info - I was told that before but I think with all the quilting input I received, that is one thing I forgot. I am a fairly new quilter & find it hard to try & remember everything I have been told. Tks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    Also sew the borders from the middle out and not top to bottom
    Tks so much for the suggestion. Next time I will certainly try this & the other info that I was given. Gotta LUV this board. Everyone is soooooooooo helpful.

So you add borders after you have quilted?(Can you tell I am new) I have a pattern (that I haven't tried yet) that said to add the borders and then quilt as desired. I tried this with just a placemat but the edges are wavy. I added the borders first then FM the inside.....the border is an inch wide and I didn't FM quilt the border.

When working with borders is is far more likey to have them go wonky .. if you are using cross -cut/grain fabric. The cross cut stretches. Lenghtwise grain has very little stretch. The problem will magnify the wider the borders when using cross cut. There are times when I just can not bring myself to use lenghtwise , particulary for a skinny border. In those instances I starch the ..heck out of the fabric prior to cutting. I then pin the border(s) while the top is laying completely flat so I do not inadvertantly stretch while attaching.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast