Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help.... bobbin thread messed up >

Help.... bobbin thread messed up

Help.... bobbin thread messed up

Old 02-25-2015, 02:52 PM

Default Help.... bobbin thread messed up

I was doing some free motion had about 1/2 of quilt done and realized that the bobbin thread isn't sewing.... I can take ahold of it and pull it right out.

I have cleaned the machine, oiled, changed needle, thread... rethreaded, changed bobbin.... sewed on a scrap just normal sewing it does it then too.

Any suggestions. Please... Just got it back from the repairman......tooo

thanks.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:55 PM

It would be helpful if maybe we knew what kind of machine you are working with to quilt. That way, the folks with the same machine can offer you assistance. Just a thought.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:06 PM

I recently had a similar problem with my featherweight, just regular sewing.

I cleaned everything thoroughly (including removing throat plate to get to feed dog area), turned upside down and sideways & shook to be sure anything that could be causing trouble was out, oiled, rethreaded top and bottom.

Somewhere in this process the offending lint, thread or whatever got out of the way and all is well now.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-25-2015, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

I agree. Need to know at least the type of machine you have (top-loading bobbin or vertical?). Even more helpful to know brand and model of sewing machine.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:17 PM

When that happened to me, I discovered that for some unknown reason, I had started putting my bobbin in backwards. I was very carefully putting it in backwards. Finally, I got out my manual and went step by step through the entire process and figured out what I was doing. This was not a new machine, there was no reason, but that was it! Weird! It seemed to only cause a problem when FMQ. Didn't notice on straight stitching.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by sdeaaz View Post
I was doing some free motion had about 1/2 of quilt done and realized that the bobbin thread isn't sewing.... I can take ahold of it and pull it right out.

I have cleaned the machine, oiled, changed needle, thread... rethreaded, changed bobbin.... sewed on a scrap just normal sewing it does it then too.

Any suggestions. Please... Just got it back from the repairman......tooo

thanks.
Really really make sure the bobbin case is clear of even the smallest piece of thread or lint. I have had to take a pin to clear the case and once I had to loosen the screw a bit to get to the offending thread. After I removed it, it worked fine. I have had the lint/thread issue on both the top loading and front loading bobbin cases. I kind of think it is related to running the bobbin all the way out of thread and a piece getting stuck in that process. Just a guess though.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t257540.html

Last edited by slbram17; 02-25-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:25 PM

Mine has one of those little plastic drop in bobbin cases. For some reason the tension suddenly vanished. No matter what I did I couldn't get it to hold tension. I ordered a new one and after I cleaned and oiled my machine I limped it along for a while. Then no matter what I tried the thread kept breaking. I finally had to give up and take it to the shop.

There was a whole bunch of thread caught in a place I couldn't see and the timing was goofed up.

It's sewing like a dream now.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
It would be helpful if maybe we knew what kind of machine you are working with to quilt. That way, the folks with the same machine can offer you assistance. Just a thought.
It is a Bernina Activa 230

Thanks
Old 02-25-2015, 04:49 PM

One thing they taught us with the Innova Longarm.......when you experience that kind of issue, rethread the machine. When it has happened to me, I realized I had missed one little "hole". They suggest that's the first thing to try no matter when the issue seems to be. If it is not what was causing the problem, at least you've "tried" to troubleshoot. (It could also be a bottom tension issue -- caused by bobbin issues). Good luck!
Old 02-25-2015, 05:04 PM

did you have the pressure foot down. On domestic machine when you free motion it is easy to forget to put the foot down and that is what engages the tension