Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Choosing Quilts >

Help Choosing Quilts

Help Choosing Quilts

Old 11-21-2016, 04:17 PM

I made my grandson who os 14 a zipper quilt from MSQC and he loved it, I used really bright colors and black for the background. The quilt was really easy and fast to make.

I agree with joyce blint ask your son what the kids are interested in and go from there..Maybe they like a certain color that you could use in a quilt for them.. Good luck..
Old 11-21-2016, 05:18 PM

Don't go it alone! Definitely ask Mom b4 you shop, then you gift will be loved. I like the fleece idea.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:29 PM

check out MSQC's Big Wonky Star--it's in one of their BLOCK books (Fall, ??) it's very quick to make using layer cakes and a bit of a solid for the star & points and binding. And would be easy to quilt on DSM. I timed myself doing it at about 4 hrs. to piece cause was working with beginners making it. Even they got it done in one day. MSQC also sells the pattern as a seperate pattern for $5. Think you could make ones that each would like using layer cakes that match their interests/colors
Old 11-22-2016, 03:40 AM

I, too, second the motion for fleece. Quick and easy and very appropriate for kids those ages. I received the JoAnn's flyer yesterday and they are going to have it 70% off with the Christmas sales coming up. You can do the double layer with the edges tied or use a single layer and utilize the punch rotary cutter and crochet around the edge. Lots of choices on the bolts of fleece and probably will be just as appreciated by kids. Mom will appreciate the easy care.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:51 AM

Starting with a panel in something each is interested in would be an idea. Or maybe a scrappy quilt made with 5" squares in their colors.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:24 AM

While novelty fabrics are fun, kids may outgrow them. For the boys I would suggest solids or geometric fabrics and the girls you can go a little more femine if you want. My son seldom uses his quilted throw at home but when going to camp this summer wanted to take it with him. A little love to take along��
Old 11-22-2016, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by sandybeach View Post
My son is VERY involved with a lady that has three kids. They are almost 14, just turned 12 and 6.5 years old. I would like to make each a quilt for Christmas, but I have no idea what kids these ages like. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I am retired, so I think I can get them done before Christmas if I start right away. But I am stumped.
How about jelly roll quilts? They are fast and pretty. I have several!
Old 11-22-2016, 05:40 AM

I'm a Double Slice Layer Cake lady myself - they go together so quickly and it works equally well with big and small prints. Check in with Mom to see what their favorite colors and themes are, and pick layer cakes (or fabric collections you can cut down yourself) that suit their preferences.
https://youtu.be/jxC-0T5lXw4
Old 11-22-2016, 07:02 AM

Retired bus driver here, those fleece quilts are always a hit, maybe their school colors or favorite sports team, I see them all the and kids like things that can snuggle up with
Old 11-22-2016, 07:20 AM

I made 5 quilts for the kids of one of my water aerobics teachers. The kids are ages 5-18, 2 girls and 3 boys. I asked her their favorite colors for the younger 4. The 2 girls like purple and green, the 2 younger boys like blue. For the older boy I used a darker palette of batiks. They all loved their quilts and they use them every day according to their mom.