Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with a Christmas idea for mom >

Help with a Christmas idea for mom

Help with a Christmas idea for mom

Old 11-12-2015, 07:45 AM

As a fellow quilter, your Mom will love anything from a quilt shop. Any gift giving occasion, when my girls ask, I tell them a gift card for fabric. They moan about it and say that's all you ever want. I can't help myself--fabric makes me happy.
Sue
Old 11-12-2015, 09:21 AM

What a lovely idea! I agree with the others....make a shopping trip with her. The outing will mean more to her than the purchase of the fabric.

Part of the fun is searching and searching for just the right fabric...so maybe a gift card is the better idea and then volunteer to accompany her to some quilt shops later.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:35 AM

Is this a quilt that your mother has been wanting to make or one you'd like for her to make? Unless a crafter's heart is in a project, it's not really a lot of fun and probably more a chore that she could feel obligated to do since you gifted it to her. Most of us have a bucket list of those patterns/designs we want to make before time takes that opportunity. This is a cute quilt though! There's a lot of work there so just be sure she wants to do that.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:12 AM

I would find the pattern, purchase what is required (including batting, backing and there's) and wrap it all up. Then she can started right away. You are a thoughtful daughter!
Old 11-13-2015, 05:13 AM

Thread not there's - autocorrect gets me all the time.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:51 AM

From a Mom's point of view, I would love the gift certificate and the opportunity to go shopping with the giver. My out of state Mother-in-law gave me a certificate one year to my local quilt shop and I bought fabric and made a Carol Doak mystery quilt. As I made blocks, I sent my mother in law pictures and we were both surprised how the finished quilt looked. She remarked how much she enjoyed seeing the progress of the quilt and the completed quilt. It was actually one of the most pleasant experiences I have had with her in 45 years and that was a nice opportunity to see a different side of her.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:27 AM

are you sure she would like to do this quilt? If so, and you would like to give her something (rather than a gift card alone), you could purchase 1 yard each of fabrics that would work in the landscape and appliques. She can use the bits and pieces for her log cabin (or other) borders. If you could find a pattern, that would be superb. I would also add a couple spools of thread. Then include a gift card for her to purchase her batting, backing and whatever she needs to fill in. Make sure when you go to get the fabric that you find someone who quilts to help you. This might be the best of both - you have a package to give her and she has options.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:30 AM

A gift certificate is the safest...I feel that fabric is like art work.....it is such a personal and indivual choice, that another can not make usually the correction selection....now having said that.....for me seeing the recipient of my gift rip off wrapping paper to get to the gift is a great thrill usually for both parties....SO perhaps you may want to purchase from a vendor who accepts full credit returns or exchanges.....best of luck
Old 11-14-2015, 01:24 PM

as a mom I would say give her money and let her spend it where ever she wants. maybe on line or a local quilt shop. maybe she really needs batting or backing for a quilt already started. but most of all spending time with you will be best.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:52 PM

I agree with others. I would suggest gifting $ for a trip to her favorite quilt shop(s) for her "cabin fever" quilt. Make it a day out just for the two of you. Maybe include lunch at someplace fun? Spending time together is just as important as the gift. Let your Mom select the pattern and fabrics.