Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with circle quilting design >

Help with circle quilting design

Help with circle quilting design

Old 04-17-2016, 06:45 AM

Default Help with circle quilting design

I am making a quilt and want to use a circle quilting design like the one in this photo of a quilt that I found on the web. How do I draw this design on my quilt? Do I need a template? In searing the we, i think this quilt design may be called Continuous Circles. Thank you.

Renea
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 04-17-2016, 06:56 AM

I have a template that is for either the double wedding ring or glorious nine patch that would easily make the design for you however the design was also available in some magazines. I know the last magazine that I saw it in was Fons and Porter. Good luck finding what you need.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

I have this stencil:
http://quiltingstencils.com/spiral-14/
Old 04-17-2016, 07:51 AM

Are you machine or hand quilting? If machine quilting, you could try freestyling the arcs at the sides of each block. You might not need a template; you could just mark the top of the arc to give yourself something to aim for, and make sure they meet at the corners.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

It's called continuous curve quilting. IF you google it, there are lots of tutorials with dozens of variations. It is often used in quilts where there is no sashing, because it enables the quilter to stitch from one end of the quilt and back without stopping to tie off. Obviously much more beneficial for machine quilters. You don't need a template, look in your kitchen cupboard and audition your plates.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:07 AM

Make your own circle template......The diameter of the circle template is the diagonal measurement of the square block on the quilt (from corner to corner).
Old 04-17-2016, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

I made a template for mine. I was very easy to make.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t276584.html
Old 04-17-2016, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

I call that an orange peel continuos quilting design. If is really handy when quilting square blocks in machine FMQing. If you have a medium to dark quilt top, use a piece of paper to figure out one curve from corner to corner on one block. Cut out the paper and glue it to a piece of card stock. Use the card stock template to trace the lines on with white chalk. Do not use coloured chalk! You can use your FMQ foot to quilt the lines or since the design is large, gentle curves can be quilted using your walking machine foot.
If you are hand quilting, you can pin the paper template to the quilt and quilt along the edge.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:17 AM

For such a large circle, I'd use a template. I've tried doing circles with a compass, but would recommend if you do that to make a template with it first & then work from the template. In the photo, it is not continuous line. The quilt 4 arcs & then break thread. I did a regular one that is continuous on a 2" Irish chain. It's pretty tricky to figure out the path, though, so I ended up breaking thread at least 8x. Also, it helps to SID - at least with water soluble thread- first so the seams don't puff up & pull. To really make it easier on yourself, you could SID with regular thread to give yourself pathways to quilt on in case you quilt yourself into a corner.

On this quilt, I did the little orange peels with a template & the big circles with a compass. Has too many problems with the compass which is why I recommend making a template.
Attached Thumbnails quilt1.jpg  

Last edited by Bree123; 04-17-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:18 PM

Thanks so much to all of you. The quilts you posted are all so lovely.

I am still a novice quilter so I will definitely need to make a template. I had thought about using a plate from my kitchen but I am still in the thinking stage and have not attempted to make a template yet.

My blocks will not be square but will be approx 11 inches wide by 13 inches tall, maybe slightly smaller, but definitely a rectangle rather than a square. Each block (there are 30) has an embroidery design and I have all of the designs embroidered.

I will be machine quilting and would like to quilt in columns so as to only have one block-width under my home sewing machine during the machine quilting. I found this site where this machine quilting method is used:

http://www.candiedfabrics.com/2014/0...go-no-sashing/

I wish I could do free motion quilting in a squiggle-type design around each design, but I have to practice lots first since I've never done free motion, so I thought this design would be easier for this quilt.

I will work on trying to make a template.

Renea