Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with corners on binding >

Help with corners on binding

Help with corners on binding

Old 10-03-2015, 05:49 AM

[QUOTE=citruscountyquilter;7332815]It's important to remember when doing a corner to stop sewing at the same distance as your seam allowance. If you are using 1/4" seams then you stop sewing 1/4" from the edge of the corner. I usually use a 3/8" seam allowance when sewing on binding because that is the width of my walking foot. In my case I stop 3/8" from the edge. If I stop 1/4" it won't fold correctly. If you use 1/2" seam allowance you stop 1/2" from the edge. /QUOTE]

This is very good advice, but I don't take the quilt out of the machine at the corner
After I have stopped the correct distance from the edge, I turn and sew into the corner on the 45º angle. I leave the needle in the fabric right at the edge. Turn the quilt to sew down the next side. Pull the edge of the binding down the next side. Pinch the excess in the corner to form the fold. Lay the fold down so that the top fold is even with the raw edge of the binding and the folded edges of the binding are exactly together. Lift the needle out of the fabric, move the quilt to the next sewing line: 1l4 inch or whatever width you are doing, and start sewing down the next side. Do not cut these short threads, they can stay right where they are.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:24 AM

[QUOTE=maviskw;7334620]
Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
It's important to remember when doing a corner to stop sewing at the same distance as your seam allowance. If you are using 1/4" seams then you stop sewing 1/4" from the edge of the corner. I usually use a 3/8" seam allowance when sewing on binding because that is the width of my walking foot. In my case I stop 3/8" from the edge. If I stop 1/4" it won't fold correctly. If you use 1/2" seam allowance you stop 1/2" from the edge. /QUOTE]

This is very good advice, but I don't take the quilt out of the machine at the corner
After I have stopped the correct distance from the edge, I turn and sew into the corner on the 45º angle. I leave the needle in the fabric right at the edge. Turn the quilt to sew down the next side. Pull the edge of the binding down the next side. Pinch the excess in the corner to form the fold. Lay the fold down so that the top fold is even with the raw edge of the binding and the folded edges of the binding are exactly together. Lift the needle out of the fabric, move the quilt to the next sewing line: 1l4 inch or whatever width you are doing, and start sewing down the next side. Do not cut these short threads, they can stay right where they are.
Oh I would love to see a visual of this method.