Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with crosshatch quilting >

Help with crosshatch quilting

Help with crosshatch quilting

Old 01-07-2016, 09:38 AM

Default Help with crosshatch quilting

I am hand quilting a quilt with 12" appliqued blocks around the outside edge that I am trying to crosshatch on the diagonal 1". I decided to use blue tape, but am running into difficulties. The blue tape slips and I can't get the crosshatch to come out even. How can I mark around the edge so that it comes out even? I have tried to pin the blue tape to hold it secure, but with little success. Also the blocks don't have sashing, so the lines have to match up perfectly from block to block. I started out by marking two lines on the block from corner to corner, then placing the blue tape against the marked line, then moving the tape against the quilted line, but it doesn't come out even when I get to the end. I have already spent hours trying to figure this out, quilting and requilting over and over on this block. I know you quilter's will be able to help me before I wear out the fabric and my patience.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:26 AM

I have used the thin 1/4" tape sold with quilting notions successfully. Lay it next to the ruler on the line you want to quilt. Because it is thin, it doesn't shift as much as a wide tape would. On flannel I was able to use a strip about 3 times before the sticky didn't work anymore. Of course, there are all sorts of marking tools discussed at length here on this board.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

Have you tried marking with a Clover Hera marker?? I just finished crosshatching a quilt I marked with it.
http://www.joann.com/clover-hera-marker/9620873.html
Old 01-07-2016, 01:19 PM

I haven't tried a Hera marker. Would it work on a quilt that is already on the frame? How do you go about marking the lines so that they are accurate? If I were cross hatching on the square, it would be easy. On the diagonal, it is hard for me and I need to know how to do it.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:28 PM

I use 1" cream colored masking tape . You might want to mark it with one of those washout blue markers or a chalk pencil while the quilt is flat. Or change your pattern so each square is independently cross hatched. Hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:48 PM

There is no way I can change the pattern. It is the William Morris and Friends quilt by Michele Hill and is now on the Grace Z44 quilting frame.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:52 PM

I am in love with a ruler and tailor's chalk. I don't know if that helps with this particular quilt but maybe for the future?
Old 01-07-2016, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by riverandwoods View Post
I am in love with a ruler and tailor's chalk. I don't know if that helps with this particular quilt but maybe for the future?
First, where to buy tailor's chalk and does colored tailor's chalk brush off easily? I appreciate the suggestion.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
First, where to buy tailor's chalk and does colored tailor's chalk brush off easily? I appreciate the suggestion.
i bought a box of it on Amazon. I know Jinny Beyer also sells the Clover variety in her store in different colors. She was the one who recommended using the chalk on her BOM at Craftsy.
I have been using mine for a quilt -as -you -go project . I am using white on dark green batiks and it has been excellent when brushing off , but also good enough to stay on so that I can mark the entire block at one time. I will be back in a short bit to give you a link of the exact brand I am using. It's not Clover.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:33 PM

Here is a link to the exact brand I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00

Then this is what Jinny offers:
https://www.jinnybeyer.com/ax_commer...5C773F3A2DFAA9