Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Customizing Microwave Bowl Pattern >

Help Customizing Microwave Bowl Pattern

Help Customizing Microwave Bowl Pattern

Old 07-13-2014, 12:11 PM

Default Help Customizing Microwave Bowl Pattern

My husband is the only one who eats ice cream in our home, and he's the tall and THIN one (not fair :0)...there is just the two of us. He loves Dreyer's and Beyer's Ice Cream that comes in an rounded corner rectangle carton. He eats it directly out of the carton (oh sigh). He grabs dish towels now to hold the ice cream container. I would like to make an insulated mitt, like the Microwave bowl for these containers.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t144848.html

The measurements of his ice cream containers are 7" long X 4" wide X 7" tall. I don't think it needs to be as tall as the container, do you?

I need help with a pattern can you help? I'm not sure where I'd sew the darts or how far in I should sew them?

I'd sure appreciate help with this as I'm a totally pattern-dependent kind of person and I'd waste a ton of fabric and batting trying to figure this out by myself!
Old 07-13-2014, 01:35 PM

I would measure the outside of the carton around and add 1 inch or so and cut a quilted piece about 6 inches tall.
then seam along the 6 inch side. bind the top edge . Trace around the outside of the bottom of the carton add 1/4 inch around the oval shape. then seam the tube to the oval. Is that clear as mud or what.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

​I think I might see if I could work out a size from the square boxes with the corner flaps that several people posted on QB. I think there was a link?
Old 07-13-2014, 10:33 PM

What about waiting till he's emptied the container - then cut the container apart to make a pattern? You'd have to add your seam allowances of course, but you'd have your shape. I agree with Sewwhat85 that your easiest method would be to buy a little pre-quilted fabric.

HOWEVER....if you used insulbrite (like for pot holders) and quilted it yourself, then it would keep the ice cream colder and his hands warmer.
Good luck.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

I hate to admit but tell your husband I do the same thing but I LIVE ALONE !! Saves on washing those bowls. I would take the pattern pieces and just make them a bit wider but the same height. Make a test bowl out of that fabric you have stashed that you will never use with no batting. When the proportions are correct, then use that pattern's dimensions.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:31 PM

There is a free pattern on Craftsy. She shows a small fabric bowl, but instructions are included for a larger bowl and how to make it fit the bowls you own. Not affilated, but happy customer...I made that bionic gear bag in the picture too!

http://www.craftsy.com/patterns?patt...rtBy=relevance
Old 07-15-2014, 03:43 AM

Thank you for this idea. my hubby eats directly out of the sherbet tub, and every morning I find a clean dishcloth left on the couch. of course now its no longer clean, so another thing to add to the wash.
I may just take your idea and give him a sherbet tub holder.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:48 AM

Be sure to preshrink the fabric because I didn't, and when it got dirty and I washed it, it didn't fit anymore (:
Old 07-20-2014, 08:05 AM

Can you find ice cream or sherbet or any other eat out of tub fabric,? This will make sure they know it is their's.

Must be good idea.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:29 AM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!!

Wow I'm so pleased he isn't the only one that eats directly from the carton! He really is a pretty neat and tidy person but I thought declaring that people might imagine him a neanderthal caveman! I love all the ideas... I do indeed have an empty container, and measuring is one way and taking it apart is the second option....I didn't think about using the insulbright, of course that's a great idea. Since he generally just grabs a terry dish towel I thought batting was what I was going to use.

I'm going to combine them and come up with an insulated holder....will let you know what the outcome is.