Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with cutting fabric >

Help with cutting fabric

Help with cutting fabric

Old 01-22-2010, 12:46 PM

Typically I use smaller amounts of fabric so maybe this helps, but I think you are having a problem with the fabric being off grain. Don't assume the fold from the bolt is accurate. To those of you who were horrified when your fabric was ripped at the fabric store, it will ensure a straight grain. The salvages are not what to use. You should use the torn width of the fabric, remove the selvages then fold in half and press the center, it probably will not be the same as how it was folded on the bolt. Hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:50 PM

That's why I don't worry so much about the selvages meeting exactly. You can pretty much eyeball the fabric and tell if it's "straight".
Old 01-25-2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sparky
Typically I use smaller amounts of fabric so maybe this helps, but I think you are having a problem with the fabric being off grain. Don't assume the fold from the bolt is accurate. To those of you who were horrified when your fabric was ripped at the fabric store, it will ensure a straight grain. The salvages are not what to use. You should use the torn width of the fabric, remove the selvages then fold in half and press the center, it probably will not be the same as how it was folded on the bolt. Hope this helps.
I don't remove my selvages because I often may not use all the fabric up and years later I may want to know what type of fabric it is and if I can get more. If I took the selvage off I'd have to pin it to any leftover fabric and with my luck the pins would rust or I'd end up poking myself and bleeding all over it. Just a thought.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
Obviously, many of those who cut the fabric at the store are not worried about getting a perfectly straight cut that will make the fabric line up on the cutting table. I have had fabric that, lined up selvage to selvage be off by more than six inches, straight from the store. So, I always buy more than I need because I hate getting a project started, only to find out that I am a couple inches shy of what I needed and have to make a trip back to the store, or worse yet, not find the fabric again to continue.
I have found this, too. I was taught to line up selvage to selvage - I've seen a big bulge many times in the fold if I don't do this. I just end up wiggling the fold a little one way or the other till the selvages do match, and take it from there.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:05 PM

I wonder if this is why Eleanor Burns usually uses only half of the fabric? she also said once that sewing shorter strips you end up with straighter fabric pieces. Just a thought.