Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help with D9P

Help with D9P

I am getting ready to start a Disappearing 9 Patch and I need your help. I am making it out of charm packs using one fabric for the center square. My question is this: Once I sew the 9 patches and cut them do I put each of the 4 sections back together in that block or since it will be somewhat scrappy do I mix the sections up and put them back together? I hope this makes sense. Any help you can give will be appreciated. Thanks.
    DonnaR
    Grammy to Isaiah and Ruth

You can switch them if you like, but what I do is to rotate the left top so the small square is now in the top left corner of block; and rotate the bottom right so the small square is now in the bottom right corner; it's the layout that I find the most pleasing to me.

Blog Entries
    since you are doing a scrappy, mix them up. if doing a 3 color dp9, it would be more controlled piecing back together.

Since I am just starting mine, I can't truly answer....BUT... I believe that I am going to find the beauty in the fact that once they are all cut, I can lay them out over and over till I get what looks pleasing to me.... you probably will be able to do any number of combinations!

I have done it both ways. Either is fine. Just depends on the look you are wanting. I prefer to do it as thimblebug6000 does it but have gotten many oooohs and aaaahs from the scrappy look as well. It is your quilt so you can do what you want.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR View Post
    I am getting ready to start a Disappearing 9 Patch and I need your help. I am making it out of charm packs using one fabric for the center square. My question is this: Once I sew the 9 patches and cut them do I put each of the 4 sections back together in that block or since it will be somewhat scrappy do I mix the sections up and put them back together? I hope this makes sense. Any help you can give will be appreciated. Thanks.
    once you cut them, try different layouts. i think it will be great either way. of course each would look like a totally different pattern
    Nancy in western NY

Blog Entries
    I agree - try different layouts to see which one is most pleasing to you.

Blog Entries
    Try them out and see what you like. Personally though, I usually just rotate the opposite corners on mine...I'm always so anxious to see how they'd look that I go ahead and cut/resew them. It amazes me how such a simple block can look so different when you rearrange the pieces.

You can also put them on point which makes a very different design and is beautiful.

Donna - take a look at cat on a mac's quilt gallery. There are a bunch of D9P quilts there that might give you inspiration. I could not BELIEVE what you can do with a 10 minute block just by varying colors. That gallery is really invaluable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast