Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with design wall >

Help with design wall

Help with design wall

Old 06-18-2010, 08:04 PM

I have read all the recent posts about design walls. I have looked all over for the pink or blue insulation foam boards that have been recommended here. Neither our Home Depot nor Lowes have them, all they had was the white styrefoam, so that is what I got. I bought fleece to wrap around it. I bought a spray glue, but when I got home I read the very small hard to find, small print and it said not to use on styrefoam. I decided to just use duct tape on the back. It seemed to be fine, for a few days, now the fleece is pulling away from the tape. My DH didn't think staples would hold in styrefoam. I would be so thankful for any ideas from all of you.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Power Poster

Can you locate the longer pins that look like a T they are hobby pins and should hold the fabric in and down .

How thick is the foam ?
Old 06-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Power Poster

If you check with Lowes, there may be a spray glue that will work. Just spray on the back side of the foam and glue down the fleece there. I wouldn't use it on the front incase any glue leeches through...
Old 06-18-2010, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Can you locate the longer pins that look like a T they are hobby pins and should hold the fabric in and down .

How thick is the foam ?
It is 1" thick. I didn't mention that I don't have a wall to put it on. My sewing room has to double as my guest room also, so I need to store it between the headboard and the wall, when not in use. I just lean it against my closet doors when using it. All that to say, it will get moved around.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Power Poster

Maybe even try thumb tacks ?
Old 06-18-2010, 08:37 PM

I think that part of the problem is that the fleece is too heavy. I'd purchase a thin, cheap flannel in white or another light color. I assume that you've purchased a 4 x 8 sheet of styrofoam, so a 44 inch flannel fabric won't go around the edges to the back. If that's the case, you can stitch a narrow piece of fabric to the edges. But I wouldn't make myself crazy about that. Instead, I'd make some "straps" out of elastic. You sew the elastic on one edge about 8 or 10 inches from the corner, then go around the back of the board diagonally to the adjacent edge. Sew elastic so that all four corners can be attached. This may be enough but I would consider adding elastic on the long side that goes around the back to the opposite long side. This will hold the center section in place. When all five pieces of elastic are stitched on, you slide the center elastic on, then attach the corner pieces in place. The elastic will stretch to make it easy to put on and then go back into shape to hold the flannel.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
I think that part of the problem is that the fleece is too heavy. I'd purchase a thin, cheap flannel in white or another light color. I assume that you've purchased a 4 x 8 sheet of styrofoam, so a 44 inch flannel fabric won't go around the edges to the back. If that's the case, you can stitch a narrow piece of fabric to the edges. But I wouldn't make myself crazy about that. Instead, I'd make some "straps" out of elastic. You sew the elastic on one edge about 8 or 10 inches from the corner, then go around the back of the board diagonally to the adjacent edge. Sew elastic so that all four corners can be attached. This may be enough but I would consider adding elastic on the long side that goes around the back to the opposite long side. This will hold the center section in place. When all five pieces of elastic are stitched on, you slide the center elastic on, then attach the corner pieces in place. The elastic will stretch to make it easy to put on and then go back into shape to hold the flannel.
The fleece is wider than 44", I think 56" so it fit well, and it isn't a real thick fleece. The elastic is a great idea, thanks, so much.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:15 PM

why don,t you make a cover like a pillow case to keep the board from dust or coming apart from corners ,i think this will give it more protection and support from pulling in and out from behind headboard when you,er not using it
Old 06-18-2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
I think the elastic is the best idea but there is glue out there just for styrofoam. Any other glue "melts" the styrofoam--ask me how I know! :)
Old 06-19-2010, 12:38 PM

I think I've seen a design wall made with hinges between the sheets
of insulation so you can fold it when not in use. I guess you'd have
to frame it first then attach the hinges to the frame.

Making one right now but mine will be attached to the wall.

By the way, we are using construction adhesive 2000 made just for styrofoam.