Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! Does everyone have problems with rotary cutters?

My blades are good for one quilt only. And if you put it on the wrong way it doesnt cut well at all.

Blog Entries
    I have had my Fiskars cuttar for a while and it has never gave me any problems. I just changed the blade the other day and it is cutting perfectly. I have used generic blades and Olfa blades and can't tell a difference in either one.

My Fiskars does that too. After a bit it eases up.

Check to make sure you only have 1 blade on there. It has been known to happen getting 2 on there by accident. Ask me how I know? LOL

One other question.. what kind of cutting mat do you have? I have a couple of different ones, and the June Taylor one is VERY hard on blades. it's not as "spongy" as the self healers and therefore dulls the blades faster.

if the mat has a lot of fine cuts, the blades may be falling into those grooves. try cutting with the rotary cutter on the opposite side of the matt ad see what happens. i wouldn't throw the blades away until i checked out everything. it can't be every single blade.

My favorite cutter is a Fiskars and the only times I have had trouble were when I didn't get it put back together correctly or too tight (it should roll smoothly across the mat). Be careful about too much pressure as this can damage the mat.

Thank You to everyone for your suggestions. I have tried them all. I first checked to see if I only had one blade in and then if I had put it together right. I changed to a different mat that I had just purchased. I losened the nut a little but for some reason as I use the cutter the nut works loose to almost falling off. I have to keep screwing it back on. Nothing seemed to remedy my situation. I did manage to get the squares blocked and I am now ready to continue sewing. Hopefully top will be finished tomorrow. I guess I am going to have to invest in another cutter when I can manage to save enough money to buy one. Thanks again

not yet. take everything apart and put it back together again a different way. this time keep track. if it doesn't work, try a different way. keep trying and keeping track.

the reason the nut keeps loosening is that the parts are in the wrong order. i've done that. and there's a little springy thing to give it tension that has to face the correct side. try that both ways.

Check the package the new blade came with if you still have it. I can't remember which blade it was that I got (I have several) that had a diagram showing the correct way to assemble it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast