Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! Does everyone have problems with rotary cutters?

I bought a Fisqures (sp) rotary cutter. It worked great until the blade got dull. I replaced the blade and began to cut out fabric for next quilt and I got about half-way through and it won't cut again. I have to push down hard to get blade to cut and now my hands are hurting. I thought a new blade should last for more then 1/2 a quilt. So I trecked to Joann's and bought another replacement blade. Same thing has happened. I am squaring up blocks and nothing is cutting. What is wrong with this cutter? Am I doing something wrong when I cut that is dulling the blade really fast? How long should a blade last? If I buy another rotary cutter what brand do you recommend?
    Thanks for the help.

I do not know a great about Fisckars (I have two Olfas) but could you have tighten the blade too tightly?

I found this on line - hope it helps.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5017517_chan...ry-cutter.html

Banned
    My blades last a very long time. Are you sure you put it back together right? Too tight?? Make sure there are not 2 blades stuck together. That happened to me one time. :-/

It sounds like you either have 2 blades stuck together, which I have done numerous times OR you have it put together wrong. Maybe the nut is too tight?

Hi Agree.
    I changed my blade this week and I had tightened it too much and it wouldn't work and I was wondering what was wrong - loosened it a bit and it now works like a charm.....

be sure you don't have the guard on wrong, I had mine behind but it goes in front! (olfa)

I'm wondering if the blade it too tight, also.

I was in a class and having a lot of trouble cutting. Same thing, having to press hard, etc. The shop owner looked at it and discovered I had put the blade in backwards. There was a left handed way and a right handed way. My cutter is a Clover.

I have a fiskars and have no problems with mine, I am thinking like the rest maybe it is in wrong?

I had same problem last time I changed blades on my Olfa. I had put the little round bit (I'm not technical!) before the bolt screws back on, the wrong way round. It was fine after.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast