Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help on enlarging a pattern?   Frustrated! >

Help on enlarging a pattern? Frustrated!

Help on enlarging a pattern? Frustrated!

Old 10-04-2009, 04:26 AM

25% = 1/4 of the size. Full size would be 4x that original size. If you copied it at 100%, that would be just copying it the same size it is. So you need 4 x 100% (or 400%) to make it the full size.

The easiest way is to take it to a copy machine (supermarket, Staples, etc.). When you do it on the computer, it doesn't always come out right, especially if you do it in increments or if it's larger than the standard 8.5 x 11 paper size.

Isn't math fun? LOL
Old 10-04-2009, 05:17 AM

Your scanning software would be the first place to check, most often they will include a function which will increase the size of the piece being scanned.

I don't use Paint, I have Illustrator, Freehand and Photoshop. Any of which would do this quickly. Likely your Paint program will as well, if 400 percent seems larger than you would like, then pick another number, such as 200.

Does the pattern state a finished size? If so, compare that to the apx. size of the finished product you'd like. We'll here to help you come up with the correct percentage to enlarge your pattern if you need a hand. :)
Old 10-04-2009, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

You can scan the pattern and then save it as a pdf. file. Acrobat will enlarge it for you, just like the copy places. and acrobat reader is free to download. It was too late last night to think of this.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:31 PM

Thanks to everyone for all their input. I stayed up until about 1:30 this morning trying to figure it out. I had a program I thought I could installed use on one computer and not another. We ended up installing the program and not being able to use it after all. I probably got the pattern printed out at a useable size around noon today. I worked forever on it yesterday.

I know that it was 25% of the actual size and needed to be enlarged 400% to make it actual size. The reason it seemed too large was because, I believe, there was an error in the pattern and/or instructions. The background fabric was only 21" x 27", and the pattern was over 36 inches tall when enlarged at 400%...Finally, I measured the pattern in the book and did some math and ended up enlarging the pattern to 275% to fit the background.

This is the largest project I have made. My others have been minis, so I'm excited. I've had this pattern/project for 3 years. Everything has gone wrong. My fusible was giving me problems (coming apart from the paper). One piece fused really well, and I didn't think I was ever going to get the paper peeled off the back of my cut out to fuse it to my background. I did get it. I'm ready to put the borders on. Many other things went wrong. It's really looking cute, though, and I will share pics when I finish it!

This was a beginner pattern. I think I'll try a way more advanced one next time! LOL!

Also, I'm in a very rural area, and Staples is over an hour away...as for Office Max or Kinkos, I have no idea!

Thanks again for all the input!
Old 10-04-2009, 05:43 PM

Glad you got it figured out after all!!

I have found that printing things using Paint is kinda weird. Paints idea of 400% is my idea of about 700%. lol

As for removing the paper from fusible. I open a pair of scissors up and lightly score the paper with one blade. be careful and don't use alot of pressure because if your scissors are sharp enought you will cut right through your fabric!(Never try this while mad you will most definitely press to hard. ask me how I know!) Doing this lifts it just enough to pull the paper up and off!

Don't feel bad my officemax, kinko's and any other office place is about an hour away also! Thank goodness for my my local mom and pop printing place!

Old 10-04-2009, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
Glad you got it figured out after all!!

I have found that printing things using Paint is kinda weird. Paints idea of 400% is my idea of about 700%. lol

As for removing the paper from fusible. I open a pair of scissors up and lightly score the paper with one blade. be careful and don't use alot of pressure because if your scissors are sharp enought you will cut right through your fabric!(Never try this while mad you will most definitely press to hard. ask me how I know!) Doing this lifts it just enough to pull the paper up and off!

Don't feel bad my officemax, kinko's and any other office place is about an hour away also! Thank goodness for my my local mom and pop printing place!
I don't know if there are any local printing places around here, unless there is one at a "local" place we vist often, about 40 miles away. Where we go to Wal-Mart or to eat out. "Town" is about 25 minutes away. We have a Kroger! LOL!

Maybe it was Paint's version of the pattern! Mongo patterns!

I don't know what was up with that one piece of fusible, but it was really, really stuck. I may have ironed it too much, but the others were fine. That one must've been Paint's version of sticky! LOL!
Old 10-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

What I think would work:

If the "original" is 2 inches and I want it to be 6 inches, I would use the 300% setting.

Basically, divide the size wanted by the size of the original.

6 (wanted) / 2 (original) = 3 = 300%

2 (wanted) / 6 (original) = 1/3 = 0.3333 = 33%

Old 10-04-2009, 06:58 PM

I'm glad you got it figured out. You can also try scoring the fusible paper with a straight pin. Can't wait to see your project.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:17 PM

LOL Miranda, (thats my little sisters name) sounds about like the place I grew up, minus the Kroger. I grew up in Japan, Missouri. The nearest payphone was about 20 miles away! Our "town" didn't even have a post office our address was actually Sullivan which was where the closest pay phone/gas station/civilization was!Yet they still didn't have much to choose from a walmart, and a few fast food places!
Shoot our nearest neighbor was a field of cows and beyond that you didn't see your "neighbors" house!
Then I ended up marrying a kid from the city, like cittttttttttttttty kid! Now we are raising our children kind in the middle! lol
Old 10-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Banned

i scan and use photoshop software to enlarge.

if its really big then i'll take it to the copy center.