Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  Fabric transfer is peeling away! >

Help! Fabric transfer is peeling away!

Help! Fabric transfer is peeling away!

Old 07-10-2012, 09:33 PM

Default Help! Fabric transfer is peeling away!

Help!! I've just made my first quilt. It is a memory quilt, made of t-shirts, photos, and appliqued squares, for my daughter who is heading off to college. A long arm quilter finished it for me. It is beautiful and my daughter absolutely loves it. However, one of the photos is peeling off!!! I used Avery fabric transfer paper which I ironed onto cotton fabric. One corner of the photo is peeling back. It was zigzagged around the edges, and has peeled away from the stitching. Should I try to iron it down again, or stitch over it? I'm afraid of it coming completely apart. It is like tissue paper, very fragile. Has this happened to anyone???? Any advice would be much appreciated!!!
Old 07-11-2012, 05:10 AM

Never have used that for pictures I print them on the fabric sheets for your printer.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:48 AM

How about using the liquid stichery stuff . I used to use it years ago for hems etc. I can't remember the exact name of the product tho
Old 07-11-2012, 05:52 AM

I'm so sorry this is happening to you! I know it must be frustrating. I don't have any experience with this, so I'm afraid I don't have any good advice. Just lots of sympathy. My gut reaction is that if this is happening already, so soon after you're making it, then any solution you come up with for gluing down the fabric transfer will be temporary at best. I think a better long-term solution might be to try to scrape the whole thing off and leave that portion of the quilt blank.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:04 AM

Could you fuse it down?
Old 07-11-2012, 02:24 PM

Try calling the company that makes the paper - hopefully you can get someone who speaks English - and see what they say to do.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:44 PM

Is Alene's (not spelled right) glue still in business? If so, call their number and see what they suggest. They had a show at one time and I remember they did something with glue and photos. Long before photo transfer paper. Worth a phone call. Good luck.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:45 PM

I am just finishing a memory quilt and I used the same t-shirt transfer paper that you did! I accidently touched one of the pictures with my hot iron and it was damaged too. I ended up pulling off all the photos that were damaged and re-doing them! Then I stitched around all the transfers. I fear it will not hold up after all the time and money. Guess we have both learned an expensive lesson. Next time I will transfer my pictures with ink directly onto the fabric!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:01 PM

I have had this happen on a sweatshirt. I reprinted pic on transfer sheets designed for dark t shirts and ironed it on over peeling image. This fix has lasted thru many washings
Old 07-16-2012, 08:08 AM

Default Thank you for the suggestions!

I appreciate all of your ideas! I've decided to tack the peeling corner down with fabric glue, then make a "patch" in the shape of a heart and stitch it down over the corner. If the other parts of the photo begin to peel, I will remove the entire photo and cover the square with something else. In the future I will avoid iron on transfers and print directly onto fabric! Thanks, everyone!