Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help figuring quilt size >

Help figuring quilt size

Help figuring quilt size

Old 10-24-2011, 04:23 PM

:( How do you determine the final size of your quilt? I want mine to be twin size, but everything I read confuses me for final measurments. stantard batting twin size is 72x90. Do I need to allow more than an extra 2 inches of batting to the final desired size?
Sorry I quess I didn't word this very well. I know what I want the final size to be, I just don't want to have to piece my batting. I will be attemping to machine quilt.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:26 PM

geez, I measure the "fall" and then across the bed, then add the "fall" again...

Then for the length, from the top edge of the bed to where I want it to end at the foot.

FWIW I also get batting on the roll, so I can afford to make it how wide I want, without consequence. If you're putting it on a frame, I would scoot the batting as close to the edge of your work as possible, because once you quilt there it's gonna stay put, kwim?
Old 10-24-2011, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

I allow 4 inches of extra batting to longarm quilt my quilts.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
geez, I measure the "fall" and then across the bed, then add the "fall" again...
Then for the length, from the top edge of the bed to where I want it to end at the foot.
this is the way i do it too. when i did my DDs king, i had to really measure tight as my frame is not that long. what i didn't realize [still learning] is that the quilting takes up some of the length and width. so it came out 2" shorter. luckily, my DD didn't mind.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:44 PM

Your idea of twin size may not necessarily be the industry's standard idea. Measure and place a twin size flat sheet on the intended bed and decide if it's the size you envision. If not, add or subtract inches until it meets with your approval. Get a bigger batting if needed to allow a couple extra inches outside the top and backing.