Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help find this advent, Please. >

Help find this advent, Please.

Help find this advent, Please.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by MTS View Post
All last night the numbers I wrote upthread were bothering me.
I knew there was something not quite right, but as I had eaten ~24 Zucchini Bread Cupcakes, I was incapable of actually thinking straight.

Now I realize that I had put 7 rounds, instead of 6, on the tree.
I've asked QuiltnNan to delete the two incorrect posts upthread.

The ramblings below takes some of the info from the previous posts.
It's not in any great order - I'm not writing a pattern - just pointing out some issues that may arise while constructing the block.

At least the pictures are uploading (I hope).
eta: not quite - I see the pics correctly placed while I'm writing, but after posting, they turn into invalid attachments. So now they're at the bottom of the post. Weird.

Here's the correct information for a 14" FINISHED block.

The inner tree block FINISHES at 8", with a 1" FINISHED inner white border, and a 2" FINISHED HST block border.
The logs are 1" FINISHED wide.

If you want to make it bigger - change the grid - just maintain the same proportions and it should all fit nicely together.
Well, in a perfect world. ;-)

Piecing normally, I would add the white HST via the Snowball method to the ends of the log strips BEFORE I added them to the block.

Since the logs are CUT 1.5", the white squares (for the Snowball) would also be cut 1.5" also.
Here's a link to a quick guide of the Snowball method if you aren't already familiar with it.:
http://www.straw.com/quilting/articles/snowball1.html
Take care when adding each snowball that the diagonal seam is sewn in the correct direction.
(When sewing the white square on the two strips from the same fabric, the diagonal seams will be in opposite directions.
Practice on some scraps - otherwise the background (white) won't be in the right position.)

When adding each log to the tree block, I would line up from the outside of the block - to make sure the HST point will be nice and neat and sharp and still pointy - and sew toward the center.
And then just keep going around.

If the inner tree block doesn't measures 8.5" UNFINSHED (for whatever reason), just adjust the white inner border so the block will end up at 10.5" UNFINSHED.

That way, the HST blocks (2" FINISHED) will fit nicely all the way around.
You will need 24 HST blocks for the border.

I prefer the cut big and trim down method.
I would cut 12 squares of the two fabrics at least 3" square.
Place one square of each color right sides together, draw a diagonal line down the center, sew 1/4" on each side of the line, and cut apart on the drawn line.
Open and press to the darker fabric.
Trim the block down to 2.5" UNFINISHED.

Sew two sets of 5 HST blocks each AND sew two sets of 7 HST blocks each,
making sure the blocks in each set are oriented the same way.

Attach a 5 block border to two opposite sides of the tree block (after the sashing has been added), taking care to match the color placement in the original picture.

Same for the top and bottom borders - 2 adjacent sides are white in and 2 are white out.

Start the tree with the square for the tree trunk (bottom right).
I think the easiest way would be to cut a 2.5" square of the brown trunk fabric, and snowball 3 sides of it with white squares (cut 1.5"), and trim away the excess.

I blew up the picture in the op and I can't quite see those seam lines - there are other ways to construct it - but I don't think it matters much.

Then you can just start adding the logs.
The way I drew it, thinking paper-piecing might an option, was to add a log on the left side of the trunk and then on top with fabric A, then left, top, with fabric B, and so on.
beautiful rendition of the tree, but I got the impression that the red triangles were all flat side up making them pockets for the 24 tiny gifts or notes or whatever for advent.

Still, great drawing for the tree.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:37 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
beautiful rendition of the tree, but I got the impression that the red triangles were all flat side up making them pockets for the 24 tiny gifts or notes or whatever for advent.
And that's why it's always helpful to read ALL the postings to an ongoing discussion prior to responding.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:39 AM

And that's why it's always helpful to read ALL the postings to an ongoing discussion prior to responding.
Sorry, but I read a post and then I reply. I'm not going to start reading every post before replying. Not now, not ever.

Each of you is more than welcome to read a thread all the way thru before replying is that's what makes you happy.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:50 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by angiequiltsinthepotteries View Post
What Dotty meant is that the pattern for the quilt has a copyright on it... which is what I had told her when she asked me for the instructions. She wasn't saying that the photo has copyright. I don't know who to give credit to for the pattern.
I made my quilt over 15 years ago using a pattern in a borrowed book, I have no idea what the book title is so I can't even share that info.
I get your drift about putting my info on my photos so that people can pop over to my blog... it's great idea but I don't know how to do it.... will find out!
Hi Angie and welcome.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Nope, Dotty doesn't need defending as she did nothing wrong.

First - the copyright relating to the photo.

When I made that comment upthread, I was referring to the picture used in the op, which was from your blog.
You might not know it, but YOU have a copyright on the photo since you took it
Now, either because people don't know or they don't care, that kind of copying happens all the time.
I'm positive in this case Ariane just didn't realize it, and I wouldn't even have bothered mentioning it if "copyright" hadn't been brought into the discussion.

I just shrug it off as since it's so prevalent, and a huge out-of-control, can't-put-it-back-in-the-box issue.
There is really no enforcement of it unless the copyright holder makes a stink about it.
And the ease with which it can be done gives the illusion that there is nothing wrong with it.

Also, since many people don't care about their own pictures being copied, it's harder to convince the others that, even outside the copyright issue, it's just a basic issue of respect of ownership.

I'm sure you noticed that many bloggers and websites, perhaps because they are more aware of the issue, are now marking their pics and drawings in different ways.
Some put the name of their website/blog discreetly at the bottom, some put a HUGE watermark though the whole picture.
Many sites/blogs are now blocking their photos from being pinned to Pinterest - I think I read somewhere that "blocking" is the third most used feature on the site.
I find that really interesting.

Anyway, it's your decision how far you want to go (or not go).
As to the how, any photo editing software will have the feature, or you can just add it to your picture with Paint or some similar software.
I don't know what you have or are using, so I can't get specific.

And your concern about the book copyright......when you taught your workshop, did you rewrite the instructions?
Or are you using a copy from the book?
Because that cat is already out of the bag. ;-)

You're on the right track with the instructions you invented but those pockets are 3 1/2" squares folded in half.
As for the size of the block, Ariane and I had already discussed this via PM.
I just guess-timated a starting width based on the photograph.
The 2" FINISHED border HST pockets I wrote upthread are correct because my directions include logs that are 1" FINISHED.

If Ariane wants a bigger block, then the log size has to change, but the proportions stay the same.
Meaning, the FINISHED size of the HST pocket blocks will always be twice the size of the FINISHED log width.
The sashing width and background white snowball squares will always be the same as the logs.

If you are using 3-1/2 cut squares (folded), then your logs are 1.5" FINISHED (2" cut).
Otherwise the math doesn't work and the square won't fit.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:52 AM
MTS
Banned

@Dotty-
This is one of the reasons why I've hesitated putting up those instructions for the JP.
While sending them to you is one thing, I just know I'm going to stumble across them on some other site at a later date, with no attribution
And that would really, really tick me off - even though there is no $$ involved.
So I'm still mulling over how to handle it while I'm working on it (in whatever spare time I have).
But I am working on it.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:59 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Ariane911 View Post
Sorry to have caused such commotion. Lesson learned, link only:-)
No commotion at all.
Live and learn.
It was a fun exercise.
I look forward to seeing your finished block.
Any questions, yell.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:21 AM

Hi Angie and welcome.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Nope, Dotty doesn't need defending as she did nothing wrong.

First - the copyright relating to the photo.

When I made that comment upthread, I was referring to the picture used in the op, which was from your blog.
You might not know it, but YOU have a copyright on the photo since you took it
Now, either because people don't know or they don't care, that kind of copying happens all the time.
I'm positive in this case Ariane just didn't realize it, and I wouldn't even have bothered mentioning it if "copyright" hadn't been brought into the discussion.

I just shrug it off as since it's so prevalent, and a huge out-of-control, can't-put-it-back-in-the-box issue.
There is really no enforcement of it unless the copyright holder makes a stink about it.
And the ease with which it can be done gives the illusion that there is nothing wrong with it.

Also, since many people don't care about their own pictures being copied, it's harder to convince the others that, even outside the copyright issue, it's just a basic issue of respect of ownership.

I'm sure you noticed that many bloggers and websites, perhaps because they are more aware of the issue, are now marking their pics and drawings in different ways.
Some put the name of their website/blog discreetly at the bottom, some put a HUGE watermark though the whole picture.
Many sites/blogs are now blocking their photos from being pinned to Pinterest - I think I read somewhere that "blocking" is the third most used feature on the site.
I find that really interesting.

Anyway, it's your decision how far you want to go (or not go).
As to the how, any photo editing software will have the feature, or you can just add it to your picture with Paint or some similar software.
I don't know what you have or are using, so I can't get specific.

And your concern about the book copyright......when you taught your workshop, did you rewrite the instructions?
Or are you using a copy from the book?
Because that cat is already out of the bag. ;-)

As for the size of the block, Ariane and I had already discussed this via PM.
I just guess-timated a starting width based on the photograph.
The 2" FINISHED border HST pockets I wrote upthread are correct because my directions include logs that are 1" FINISHED.

If Ariane wants a bigger block, then the log size has to change, but the proportions stay the same.
Meaning, the FINISHED size of the HST pocket blocks will always be twice the size of the FINISHED log width.
The sashing width and background white snowball squares will always be the same as the logs.

If you are using 3-1/2 cut squares (folded), then your logs are 1.5" FINISHED (2" cut).
Otherwise the math doesn't work and the square won't fit.

Yes, it is 2 1/2 inch pocket block!...I'm just about finished with the advent, using mts's calculations.