Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Help finding fans

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Valley Center, KS
    Posts
    187
    Blog Entries
    6
    I have a nephew getting married on the 9th of April. He is marrying a girl from Japan. I've checked the gifts they have chosen on wedding registries and don't get that excited about anything they have chosen. I like to give something they will love and remember us giving them. She has chosen a picture of a Japanese cherry blossom branch so I'm hoping my idea will be a hit. I plan to make a wall hanging with 3 boxes on the left for pieced fans, a long box on the right for a cherry blossom branch and their last name in a box on the bottom. My problem is finding a fan pattern that has a little pizazz to it. I'm not wanting a rounded edge. I'd like something with points I think.
    Anyone know where to find a pattern on the net as I really don't have time to travel looking for a pattern?
    I'll post the finished product if I can swing getting it done. Thanks in advance as I'm sure someone out there knows where to send me.

  2. #2
    Super Member BKrenning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Festus, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    1,552
    Why not a partial fancy Dresden Plate?

    http://www.patternsfromhistory.com/c...en-pattern.htm
    http://lindafranz.com/product.php?productId=58
    http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=6713

    A partial New York Beauty would also serve. They come in even more variations than the Dresden Plate does.

  3. #3
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,303
    You can see how Susan Briscoe did some embroidery on a modified Drunkard's Path block to give the effect of a Japanese fan. Looks very elegant (and easy). Scroll down a bit.
    http://www.susanbriscoe.co.uk/patterns.htm
    If you're doing a wallhanding you can add you own bling to it. And I know you did say you didn't want rounded. ;-) But if you look at most of the fan motifs on Japanese fabric and in paintings (and I"m talking the real stuff - not the Kona Bay imitations) they are pretty much all rounded. I just did a quick look through my collection. No points.

    Also, the Noshi (Ribbons - Happiness, Good Fortune) is another well recognized symbol in Japanese art and culture.
    http://www.gotfabric.com/shop/PROJEC...sku-EW-116.htm

    Sorry I have to run so don't have time to look for a perfect pattern link (they are out there, I've seen many) but at least you can get an idea of the overlook of the motifs.

    Try these place (either the website or call them):
    http://www.intfab.com/
    http://mybluebamboo.com/

    Also, if you get your hands on the Pippen books (Sylvia or Kitty), they should have a patterns in there - or at least eye candy for inspiration.

    Good luck.

  4. #4
    Senior Member petpainter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Palm Bay, Florida
    Posts
    420
    Hi Pegleg,
    I just came back from the Sewing Expo this past weekend and saw one of the most beautiful quilts I've ever seen.It's by Judy Niemeyer called Japanese Fan- all paper pieced, but the picture doesn't do it justice. It uses 10 light Asian fabrics, and 10 dark. They sold out of the kits and patterns the first 2 hours of the show, otherwise I'd have one. Lots of points, even the entire border.It is exquisite!
    http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item--i-JNQ-44-P
    There's tons of links, but here's a pic. Good luck with your decision. Sally

  5. #5
    Senior Member Kat Sews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tn
    Posts
    640
    If you want to do a simple fan with points you can take each individual blade, fold in half lengthwise, and sew across the end of the blade. Turn it right side out and press to form a point on each blade. Then assemble as usual.

  6. #6
    Super Member clem55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lexington,Kentucky
    Posts
    6,147
    Blog Entries
    6
    Sindy Rodenmayer has a really neat fan, no points, but handle and tassel, shown in Asian fabric. PM me if you need too.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Valley Center, KS
    Posts
    187
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by BKrenning
    Why not a partial fancy Dresden Plate?

    http://www.patternsfromhistory.com/c...en-pattern.htm
    http://lindafranz.com/product.php?productId=58
    http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=6713

    A partial New York Beauty would also serve. They come in even more variations than the Dresden Plate does.
    Thanks for the links. I'd never thought about using Dresden plate pattern for the fans.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Valley Center, KS
    Posts
    187
    Blog Entries
    6
    Also, the Noshi (Ribbons - Happiness, Good Fortune) is another well recognized symbol in Japanese art and culture.
    http://www.gotfabric.com/shop/PROJEC...sku-EW-116.htm
    I think that would be great to use with the cherry blossom branches . Thanks for the link. It is great to have friends out there with so much knowledge of other cultures.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Valley Center, KS
    Posts
    187
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by petpainter
    Hi Pegleg,
    I just came back from the Sewing Expo this past weekend and saw one of the most beautiful quilts I've ever seen.It's by Judy Niemeyer called Japanese Fan- all paper pieced, but the picture doesn't do it justice. It uses 10 light Asian fabrics, and 10 dark. They sold out of the kits and patterns the first 2 hours of the show, otherwise I'd have one. Lots of points, even the entire border.It is exquisite!
    http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item--i-JNQ-44-P
    There's tons of links, but here's a pic. Good luck with your decision. Sally
    This is lovely but I need this one done by April 6.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Valley Center, KS
    Posts
    187
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Sews
    If you want to do a simple fan with points you can take each individual blade, fold in half lengthwise, and sew across the end of the blade. Turn it right side out and press to form a point on each blade. Then assemble as usual.
    I think this sounds too easy but might be an answer to my prayers to get this done in time to go to Wisconsin on the 6th of April. Thanks Peggy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.