Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Finding A Recent Thread About Binding >

Help Finding A Recent Thread About Binding

Help Finding A Recent Thread About Binding

Old 07-18-2016, 05:13 AM

Default Help Finding A Recent Thread About Binding

I thought I'd marked a recent thread regarding different suggestions by members on how they manage binding when applying to a quilt.

If I recall the person who posted the thread was considering buying a binding tool that would unroll and several members here on the board told how they managed their bindings when sewing onto the quilt. There were some really innovative ideas, does anyone remember the name of thread?
Old 07-18-2016, 05:24 AM

I don't remember the thread, but I put my binding in a clean waste can to the right of my sewing machine. The waste can is on the floor. Then I feed the binding straight to the quilt. I tried rolling it all up and putting it on something around my neck. Just wasn't for me. Then I tried putting it in a large pot next to the sewing machine...another rolling it all up... and it hung up trying to come out of the pot. I like the waste can. I put the end I am not working with down in the bottom and just puddle the rest until I have the end I want even with the quilt. It comes out nicely, doesn't hang up and since I don't pin, except at the corners, I am usually only working with about 6 inches at a time. As I said, works for me.

Edited to add: I should also tell you that I cut all my bindings on the bias because I like that little bit of give, and I stretch it very slightly so that it goes on the quilt the way I want it to. I, also, don't iron the binding in half, I just fold it as I am sewing it to the quit, making sure I sew a true quarter inch seam. My bindings are cut 2.5 inches. I sew to the back, then when I turn it to the front, I barely cover the seam, rolling all the extra in the binding to the back, so that I am sewing on both edges about the same distance in. It looks like a binding machine put it on. The corners do get a bit tricky, but I just work it in.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 07-18-2016 at 05:29 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:02 AM

I posted this a few years ago...still my favourite tool for binding.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t224145.html
Old 07-19-2016, 07:32 AM

Hello Barb... Thanks for giving all the useful information I remember using the waste basket as one of the suggestions. Maybe the thread was about using items for quilting that are uncommon for sewing or something like that. I love those threads so many innovative, creative people. Sort of like the people that think outside the box and invent a hula hula hoop. I, on the other hand am one of the millions who say, "I wish I'd thought of that!" :0)

I too have tried a commercial type gadget that rolled and hung around the neck, then I tried the toilet paper cardboard...just didn't work for me either. I also tried the container/pot too, and because my machine is in Horn cabinet and my machine controls are to the right I couldn't figure a way to manipulate the binding out of the pot! I don't like just dropping it on the floor....picks up everything so the basket is a consideration.

Again thanks for your well instructed post, I really appreciate your time in reply.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:39 AM

Wow EasyPeezy (love your board name BTW) thank-you for posting a link to your thread! Hmm I wonder if my husband would consider making one of these for me? Just one more Honey-Do on the list :0) Where do you place the binder holder when you are putting the binding on the quilt? Does it sit to the right? I haven't read the entire thread yet....maybe it's obvious and someone else may have already asked.

I so appreciate you taking the time to post a link.