Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! First Quilt Ever! Part 2 >

Help! First Quilt Ever! Part 2

Help! First Quilt Ever! Part 2

Old 01-17-2015, 08:53 PM

Unfortunately, it sometimes seems the manager is whoever is sitting next to the CS rep you are talking to, or the manager is in a meeting, all day, every day, but the rep will take a message and you'll get a call back. Only you never do.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:51 AM

You must be having a great time... especially if you stayed up till wee hours in the morning cutting triangles. I was like that when I first started quilting... but now I get up at the crack of dawn instead. I feel much more bright-eyed after a cup of coffee. : )
Old 01-18-2015, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

Well done, you hop in there and keep us posted. Love your enthusiasm.....can't wait to see what you come up with. Woody, the paper plate idea makes perfect sense....must remember that one.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:07 AM

Starch those triangle well before sewing and handle them gently.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:24 AM

You've picked a great project to get started. You'll love the process and the different looks you can achieve by placement. Follow the steps of the book! Please use the resources here at your fingertips if you have other questions - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by your achievements!
Old 01-18-2015, 06:00 AM

And that bottle of wine using as weights.......wouldn't sit long there! I'll be sipping it to keep sane. Lol
Old 01-18-2015, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

I am an experienced quilter (not an excellant one) but I do think it would have taken me a lot longer to cut all those triangles. Probably 3.5 hours to match up the strips for a OBW so I would have a repeat pattern. Good luck to you.

QUOTE=Aszule;7050264]I did go slow Took me 3.5 hours to cut all of that [/QUOTE]
Old 01-18-2015, 06:21 AM

I found a quick way to cut lots and lots of triangles from the same fabric:
Square up the end of the piece of fabric. Now square up the other end, too, and lay them on top of each other, with the cut ends facing you. Cut three or four strips, but don't touch the strips after you cut them. Leave them where they lie.
Cut squares the other way, the same width as you cut the strips. Leave them where they lie. If they move a little, just nudge them back where they belong.
Now lay your long ruler on the diagonal, making sure the ruler is going through each diagonal all the way up. Cut on that diagonal line. Cut all the diagonals that way. (Not both ways.)
You can pick up your triangles in groups of four and have them ready to "deal" out to line up your pattern, and you're ready to sew.

If you cut strips 3 1/2 inches wide, cut the squares 3 1/2 inches, too. You get 6 squares from each strip. Each square yields 8 triangles. That's 48 triangles from each strip. How many do you need? Make that many strips. I wouldn't make more than 4, as the diagonal cuts would get too long. That's from a piece of fabric WOF X 14".
Old 01-18-2015, 07:55 AM

I'm curious about this thread.....did you place your order via the internet or over the phone? I used to be able to place an order over the phone (about a year or so ago) but the last time I tried to place an order I was told it had to be thru the internet? how do you all order from them?
Old 01-18-2015, 09:40 AM

I have used fabric.com several times and only ever done it as internet purchase. Same with thousands of bolts and connecting threads.