Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help with Found Fabric (I'm a Dumb Guy)

My late wife was an active quilter. Recently, I came across a large piece of plain off-white fabric onto which had been stenciled (in pencil I think) a design in preparation for making a quilt top.

The fabric looks like muslin. What other fabrics are used as a base for tops? Can the pencil marks be removed? I'd hate to see this fabric go to waste.

Thanks for your help!

Blog Entries
    why don't you leave the markings and finish it? we'll help you along with advice and encouragement. :P

Blog Entries
    Yes!!! Wonderful idea 8) 8) 8)

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    why don't you leave the markings and finish it? we'll help you along with advice and encouragement. :P
    This is a great idea. I would go for it.

I would wash it. I would think the pencil would come out.

Quote Originally Posted by jorban
    My late wife was an active quilter. Recently, I came across a large piece of plain off-white fabric onto which had been stenciled (in pencil I think) a design in preparation for making a quilt top.

The fabric looks like muslin. What other fabrics are used as a base for tops? Can the pencil marks be removed? I'd hate to see this fabric go to waste.

Thanks for your help!
    I'll bet it's marked for a whole cloth quilt. If you wash the markings out before it's quilted it's just fabric.

I'm with Scissor Queen, I would leave the markings on....maybe you would like to finish it, if not I am sure another quilter would be able to finish it for you. You could always take a photo, post here and get heaps of ideas and advice on each step of the way.....but, there may be a risk you will become addicted!

Scissor Queen, that is my first thought...that it was quilt markings.

Jorban, you could take it to a machine quilter and ask her if the markings are for quilting. You could probably have her/him quilt it for you and have a lovely quilt.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Think of it as one last gift from your wife.

Hi, I'm with Earthwalker, send in a picture so that we can see if it is complete to finish . If it's only partly there, wash it. Yes, It's probably muslin. I doubt that it would be flannel or satin/silk. I'm sure you will get lots of help. Maybe even take it to a quilt shop & have them finish it for you. What a nice legacy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast