Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! fusible batting problem. Ruined quilt. >

Help! fusible batting problem. Ruined quilt.

Help! fusible batting problem. Ruined quilt.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:45 AM

Default Help! fusible batting problem. Ruined quilt.

Does anyone know how to get the glue from fusible batting off the front of the quilt? I was unfortunate enough to get a defective roll. When I ironed the layers together some of the adhesive, well a lot actually, a whole long line from one end of the quilt to the other, came through to the front.
I have never used fusible before, so didn't realize this was a problem. I assumed it would come out in the wash. So I continued on with quilting it and binding it.
Well, it didn't come out. So now the quilt has black streaks on it.
Anyone know how to get it out and what recourse do I have?
Old 03-12-2014, 09:51 AM

Oh no! Sorry I don't have a solution, but I'm sure someone will have one for you before long. I just wanted to say that I feel so bad for you. That's just terrible
Old 03-12-2014, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

Could you contact the manufacturer and ask for a remedy? I know Hobbs is very good about getting back to customers on issues that involved their battings. Maybe the manufacturer of your batting will as well.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:12 AM

Sorry to hear you had a problem. We have all been there with some kind of boo boo! That's how we learn not to do THAT again!

Did you contact the manufacturer? They may have a solution. I'm sure you are not the only one it has happened to.

Also, somewhere, I read that you should not use fabric softener when using fusible web, that it might "unstick" the web. Maybe that would work? I may be wrong, but I don't see where it could hurt much to try it.

If and when you find the solution, please let us all know. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

There is a product called Un Du that will take out the adhesive. It is the same product used by professionals to remove photographs that are stuck to glass, will not harm paper or fabric. https://un-du.com/
Old 03-12-2014, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

If it was Hobbs 80/20 fusible, it is water solvable. It should wash out when you wash the quilt. You could use a damp facecloth to sponge it off the top but the moisture may cause the fusible in the sandwich to come off too before quilting?
Old 03-12-2014, 10:37 AM

I have used fusible batting from Joanns and never had a problem. that is terrible, but it isn't your fault. I would call the people you bought it from and if they can't help call the mfgr. and if they blow you off tell them you are demonstrating use of product for a big quilt show or some other drum-beating nonsense and get attention from a tech rep of the company. That is a clear case of material failure to perform as advertised.

My only thought about a DIY approach is to use mineral spirits or paint thinner or nail polish remover. I suggest you iron the stuff on some scrap fabrics and then try different approaches.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

the only fusible that had globs of glue was June Tailor. it should wash out but go ahead and contact the manufacturer in case they have other suggestions. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
There is a product called Un Du that will take out the adhesive. It is the same product used by professionals to remove photographs that are stuck to glass, will not harm paper or fabric. https://un-du.com/
Wow! I'm going to get some of this stuff! See the reviews on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Un-Du-Products...ws/B003TZQPTS/
Old 03-12-2014, 11:06 AM

It is June Tailor batting from Hobby Lobby. I contacted someone there(at June Tailor). She suggested having it dry cleaned and said she would reimburse me in products from their website. And would also replace the roll of batting. Um. Don't think so. I have no intention of taking the chance with that batting ever again.
I'm going back to pinning. Which is too bad, because my husband just finished making me a work station that has an ironing surface large enough to accommodate a child's size quilt. It was so easy to fuse. I knew it was too good to be true.
What about GooGone? Would that work?