Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help! Grace quilt frame replacing tracks

Help! Grace quilt frame replacing tracks

After a long search on google I'm coming to you gals like I should have to begin with. I'm helping my aunt "modify" grace queen quilt frame. We are wanting to replace the plastic tracking with the metal rods. Could one of you tell us how to remove the plastic tracking? I'd also like to know if replacing them with metal rods helps with the wobble in the carriage. If not do you know of a fix for the wobbly carriage? Thank you so much for sharing you knowledge.

mine just slipped into groves, so it pulled right out. I found a metal yard and got stainless steel bars to replace them. They were a bit loose, so I put fabric down and then pushed them into the slot. They held fine, though I sold not long after that.

I never experienced a wobbly carriage, but would suggest making sure the rails are tightened correctly, and everything is very level.

BTW - here is an old picture of what I had.

My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Blog Entries
    I had a grace frame, but a different model. Are you talking about the black tracking where the wheels of the carriage ride on? On my frame, you had to totally disassemble one of the sides, then the tracks slid out. But I'm not sure how you would replace them with metal rods as the tracks are specially molded to fit or if replacing them would make a difference at all.
    Before replacing anything, I would check to see if the frame is level and square. Make sure the table portion that the carriage rides on is not bent or otherwise damaged and the carriage is seated correctly. Did you contact Grace with your problem?
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Thanks Cathy for your quick response. I think the problem with her carriage is its the original wood carriage. She's going to upgrade to the metal one shown in your picture. Thanks again.

Did you contact Grace with your problem?[/QUOTE]

No we didn't since its sunday. I'm not sure they would be of any help when it comes to making modifications to their product.

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    I'm not sure which model you have, but I have the Next Generation Quilting frame (metal)
    To remove the plastic track, just poke a screwdriver in the end and pull it up. Now it seems to me that I inquired a long time ago about replacing my tracks with metal ones and they were not available for this particular model so I don't know how they would on.
    As for the wobble - is your floor uneven? Use a level to ensure that it is level horizontally and also set the level where it is attached in the centre to ensure that it is not sitting at a slight angle.
    Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.
    Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
    I'm not sure which model you have, but I have the Next Generation Quilting frame (metal)
    To remove the plastic track, just poke a screwdriver in the end and pull it up. Now it seems to me that I inquired a long time ago about replacing my tracks with metal ones and they were not available for this particular model so I don't know how they would on.
    As for the wobble - is your floor uneven? Use a level to ensure that it is level horizontally and also set the level where it is attached in the centre to ensure that it is not sitting at a slight angle.
    My aunt is replace the plastic tracking with steel rods. They arent sold by Grace. It's a modifications we found online. Others seem to like it much better than the plastic tracks. The wobble is only in the carriage not the frame. They guy who set it up has it leveled. The carriage doesn't drift.

Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    mine just slipped into groves, so it pulled right out. I found a metal yard and got stainless steel bars to replace them. They were a bit loose, so I put fabric down and then pushed them into the slot. They held fine, though I sold not long after that.

I never experienced a wobbly carriage, but would suggest making sure the rails are tightened correctly, and everything is very level.

BTW - here is an old picture of what I had.

Cathy,

How did you like the upgraded carriage? Did it wobble?

I had no wobbles that I can remember. The clamps on the side held the machine firmly, and I don't recall every having any problems. I really liked that carriage, way better than any of the wooden ones I saw, though I never used a wooden one. The handles were attached firmly and I had no trouble guiding the machine, either FMQ or ruler work.

I had the Bailey with the Grace frame for a few years and then upgraded to an HQ Fusion.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I have the grace majestic frame. I would have to take one of the ends apart to remove the plastic tracks. I have not had any problem with the tracks or wobbling. I have had my machine and frame 2 years and quilted over 200 quilts. Most of them lap size for sewing ministry at church. I have no complaints.